Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a 2006 mega cab over the weekend and was told it got new bearing and piston rings when putting in studs. Why would you do that? New to all this how does the build look.
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Screenshot Number
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Darkness Number
Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design

3,525 Posts
The engine was rebuilt and assembled with head studs instead of head bolts.

Based on that ad, I wouldn't go anywhere near that truck, even if you were an experienced mechanic very familiar with 3rd Gens.

Reactions: gerlbaum

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That engine was patched together to last long enough to sell. Second the stay clear advice.

Reactions: gerlbaum

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,531 Posts
I mean it COULD have been just a high-mileage rebuild. I don't see the mileage listed on the ad, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But to fully disassemble the engine only to replace the rings and rod bearings instead of a full rebuild makes me wonder what went on with that truck. Sounds like it was ran HARD. Which isn't a kiss of death, but this entire scenario is definitely something that should have been asked about BEFORE buying instead of after. But I get it. We wanna buy, get excited, and then think, "Oh crap" after the purchase is made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I mean it COULD have been just a high-mileage rebuild. I don't see the mileage listed on the ad, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But to fully disassemble the engine only to replace the rings and rod bearings instead of a full rebuild makes me wonder what went on with that truck. Sounds like it was ran HARD. Which isn't a kiss of death, but this entire scenario is definitely something that should have been asked about BEFORE buying instead of after. But I get it. We wanna buy, get excited, and then think, "Oh crap" after the purchase is made.
260,000 miles. Ya I thought it was weird to tear it all down and only replace that. You would think if they seen anything wrong they would have replaced it when they did that tho.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,531 Posts
And that's why the guys are saying they just patched it up to sell.
Fact of the matter is, it's yours now. If it's running good, run it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did you take it to a shop and have them put it up on a lift and look underneath?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you take it to a shop and have them put it up on a lift and look underneath?
no I looked at everything and it looked fine. No leaks. Everything felt tight. It was a 7 hour drive but he drove 3 hours with truck to meet me. Everything ran well. Just didn’t know if there was a reason for someone just to do that.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Yeah, if he's beat the bearings out of the thing! LOL.
Just kidding. People do a million things to their stuff for a million different reasons.
I'd just play your hand and beat on it harder.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd get a shop to put it up on a rack and check for worn suspension parts. I can say the majority of 3/4 & 1 ton trucks that are brought into our shop for pre-purchase inspection will need front end service.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,831 Posts
Sound like they blew a head gasket, pulled head and decided to do in chassis overhaul…

That or they melted a piston from beating on it… the world may never know.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Why wouldn't you roll in new main bearings when that deep into it though? Just strange.

3,525 Posts
Well kinda already got it lol any advice

The reason many of us wouldn't recommend that truck is because of all the mods.
6" lift with 37" tires and then cheap Moog suspension parts isn't great.
Then the 100HP injectors aren't stated as new, so they are most likely questionable remans.
It most likely has some kind of programmer or interceptor module.

Keep a close eye on the engine oil level. Not only for going down but for going up.

Good luck with the truck.

Perhaps start a new thread with pics and more details of the truck.

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,831 Posts
Why wouldn't you roll in new main bearings when that deep into it though? Just strange.
There’s top end deep and lower end deep.…

In any case, I see rolling in new bearings but pulling pistons and reringing? Had to have been something wrong for them to do that…

I'd be worried with the integrity of that engine job given they used a cheapo tough country lift kit…

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason many of us wouldn't recommend that truck is because of all the mods.
6" lift with 37" tires and then cheap Moog suspension parts isn't great.
Then the 100HP injectors aren't stated as new, so they are most likely questionable remans.
It most likely has some kind of programmer or interceptor module.

Keep a close eye on the engine oil level. Not only for going down but for going up.

Good luck with the truck.

Perhaps start a new thread with pics and more details of the truck.
Sorry injectors we’re done 15,000 miles ago. Also has a smarty on it but I have it in eco mode. Added more pictures of truck

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's a pretty clean looking truck. I can see why you like it. I'd still want it put up on a rack. It's amazing how much money you can save yourself with a buddy and a pry bar.

·
Registered
2007 Ram 3500 5.9, mostly stock
77 Posts
I would say clean looking truck, im personally not a big fan of lifts and big wheels, but it does look nice. As far as the engine build goes i wouldnt worry to much if it runs smooth with no blowby. Everyone has there own reasons and ideas for doing what they do to there trucks (however unnecessary it might be), but if it runs nice dont fear just send it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts