Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does anyone use a dealer except if it is for warranty work? I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 that is hard starting if it is not plugged in if it gets below 50 degrees. Batteries are fine and grid heaters are fine. With 205K miles on it, it probably has some pressure problems somewhere. I decided the best first step was to take it to a dealership and have them test the system.

I got the standard response from this service work - change the fuel filter (which I did) but that probably won't fix it and will probably be looking at full injector replacement. For fun I asked them what that job would cost there. The Service Manager looked a few things up and then told me I should probably be sitting down. The cost for re-manufactured injectors was $5600. Labor was about $800. So with miscellaneous and tax I'm looking at $7,000.

After I stopped laughing I stopped at an independent shop on the way home and they quoted me $2800.

So, why does anyone go to a dealership except for warranty work?

RodeDawg

·
On call 24/7
12,488 Posts
To get your heart rate up.
Make sure you get Brand new injectors and not remans, that $2600 is definitely remans.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why would you waste your time and go to the dealer anyways ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You should steer clear of both of those places. Dealers are generally way over priced and do subpar work. And if the other shop is gonna put a whole set in for that price, the injectors are junk. Cheaper is usually not better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Juat go and spend 3.2-4k on injectors and put them in yourself

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are many, many qualified shops that can even do FCA warranty work, you just need to call around!

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for this. Yes, I've been doing some searching but hadn't come across these yet. I figured if I was going to dive into this I was going with new injectors and not reman's. Appreciate it.

RodeDawg

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoonf3d, you asked why I'd go to the dealership anyway? That was my question. Why would anyone go to the dealership with prices like this.

The main reason I went was in the original message. I was simply confirming my suspicion as opposed to finding something else I may have overlooked. But there was no way they were going to do the work. Thanks.

RodeDawg

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sometimes the dealership actually has a good tech that works there. Not many do anymore because its mostly reading codes and throwing parts at a vehicle that they can pay some kid less $$ to do than an experienced guy but if you can find a guy who's worked there 30+ years and knows his stuff its worth it. Once people find a good shop and are comfortable with them, happy with the work and prices they tend to keep going there. Sometimes it just happens to be the dealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts