Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand bias aside what's the deal with the 2019 power strokes....why am I hearing so much crap about them?

I thought their rigs were pretty solid these days? Its the same tranny from 2011 I think as well.

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,200 Posts
Brand bias aside what's the deal with the 2019 power strokes....why am I hearing so much crap about them?

I thought their rigs were pretty solid these days? Its the same tranny from 2011 I think as well.

What are you hearing? Their emissions system is pretty much squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
I have a good friend that's a Ford master diesel tech. He hates working on the new diesels. The cab has to be removed (been that way for a while) and it takes hours to get to anything vital. Ford warranty doesn't pay well and most of the time the claim is denied for warranty. If he wasn't so close to retiring he would have left in the last few years because of all the behind the scenes junk going on at Ford.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I have a good friend that's a Ford master diesel tech. He hates working on the new diesels. The cab has to be removed (been that way for a while) and it takes hours to get to anything vital. Ford warranty doesn't pay well and most of the time the claim is denied for warranty. If he wasn't so close to retiring he would have left in the last few years because of all the behind the scenes junk going on at Ford.
It's a really stupid design. It wouldn't have taken much engineering to design a cab which rotates forward like a semi to allow for service and repair. Having to remove and lift the whole cab is dumb beyond words.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a 2017 F 350 platinum before my 19 Ram and Loved it! Truck was flawless and I just really enjoyed it. I doubt Ford changed a bunch of things for the worse on the 19 it’s just the forums tend to bring more of the negatives about the trucks than positives. My neighbor has a 19 powerstoke with 14,000 miles and hasn’t had an issue.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I had a 2017 F 350 platinum before my 19 Ram and Loved it! Truck was flawless and I just really enjoyed it. I doubt Ford changed a bunch of things for the worse on the 19 it’s just the forums tend to bring more of the negatives about the trucks than positives. My neighbor has a 19 powerstoke with 14,000 miles and hasn’t had an issue.
And yet you got rid of it. This makes sense how?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tax right offs bud. Get a new truck every 2-3 years for tax right offs. If you don’t have a business you wouldn’t understand.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Tax right offs bud. Get a new truck every 2-3 years for tax right offs. If you don’t have a business you wouldn’t understand.
I understand "write-offs," but you're right, I don't understand "right offs."

·
Registered
492 Posts
Perfect 👍. If you understand them there’s no reason to call me out on loving my 17 Ford yet getting rid of it after 2 1/2 years. No matter how much I love or hate my 19 Ram it’s gone after about 2 years.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Why does ever thread have to turn into a pissing match? Nice contributions brownbear. Move on.

OP, a lot of it is standard brand loyalty crap. A lot of it is that the Internet forums amplify problems to seem like they are more prevalent.

Wait until there is a failure of one CP4.2 in a Ram. This place is going to lose its collective mind.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
the biggest problem i've heard about with the powerstrokes was the cp4 pump other than that pretty solid and for 2020 they got smart and ditched the cp4 for the denso fuel system like gm did to bad ram wasn't smart enough to do the same it's the single biggest worry i have about my 19 i'm picking up this week

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I’m pretty sure ford is still using the Bosch pump. 2011- current.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I’m pretty sure ford is still using the Bosch pump. 2011- current.
not for the 2020's which aren't available for order until nov.4th they went with the same route as the L5P dmaxes denso

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
not for the 2020's which aren't available for order until nov.4th they went with the same route as the L5P dmaxes denso
Not super familiar with Ford, but I can only find one hit in google that discusses ford switching to a Denso pump (and that’s a forum post asking not saying), but I can find a couple saying that 2020 stays with Bosch. Here is one:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/why-the-2020-super-duty-will-break-the-1000-lb-ft-barrier/

Again. I don’t claim to be a ford expert but at the very least it seems that it’s still up in the air for general knowledge.

Either way. Tomato tomato. Who cares. Drive the truck, enjoy it and if something fails, well that’s what warranty is for.

I still doubt ram/Cummins would push a supremely inferior part if they didn’t think it would work. It would cost more in the long run. We will see. I bought a 19 too. If they all start failing I’ll be in the same sinking ship as you.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Not super familiar with Ford, but I can only find one hit in google that discusses ford switching to a Denso pump (and that’s a forum post asking not saying), but I can find a couple saying that 2020 stays with Bosch. Here is one:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/why-the-2020-super-duty-will-break-the-1000-lb-ft-barrier/

Again. I don’t claim to be a ford expert but at the very least it seems that it’s still up in the air for general knowledge.

Either way. Tomato tomato. Who cares. Drive the truck, enjoy it and if something fails, well that’s what warranty is for.

I still doubt ram/Cummins would push a supremely inferior part if they didn’t think it would work. It would cost more in the long run. We will see. I bought a 19 too. If they all start failing I’ll be in the same sinking ship as you.

:grin2:
the problem comes in when all the failures start and the motor co starts denying the claims and tries to blame it on customer using bad fuel IE what ford did and hence the massive law suite. unfortunately all common sence has left big buisness and is run by bean counters oh look at how cheap we can get these pumps that will make profit x amount higher

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a mechanical engineer, I am going to give RAM the benefit of the doubt that the CP4 went through further testing and evaluation and was revised.

You don't redesign a truck, with an HO motor (with different internals), an Aisin transmission, and pair it with a flawed fuel pump. Theres just no way they did that.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I had the exact opposite experience with my 2017 F350.
I had numerous problems with it in the 18 months, 17K miles I had it. I dumped it because of all the problems.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As a mechanical engineer, I am going to give RAM the benefit of the doubt that the CP4 went through further testing and evaluation and was revised.

You don't redesign a truck, with an HO motor (with different internals), an Aisin transmission, and pair it with a flawed fuel pump. Theres just no way they did that.
As a mechanical engineer, you should also know that the higher fuel psi pumps heavily rely on clean, dry diesel fuel. There is no formula for having a 30000+ psi pump survive contaminated fuel, even with the very best of surface coatings or filters.

Many people like to bash on manufacturers but don't like to admit they used fuel from the 'cheap' station down the road or never drained the water seperator on schedule.

I feel you give RAM waayy too much credit if you think their past performance is indicative of a positive, problem free future. Remember, this is the same company that usually has 10 open recalls per model year.

I firmly believe if the truck engine, any brand, is maintained well and according to schedule, it will provide a long reliable service life.

I get this is a RAM forum, but let's not loose a grip on reality here.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

see there you go using common sense lol

Reactions: Danderson
1 - 20 of 39 Posts