Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Are you sure it's not the hose that goes back to the heater core? Looks like it to me. And you say metal to metal. There are supposed to be gaskets in between the manifold and the head. Turbo looks like someone was trying to pry the silencer ring out without removing the snap ring first. Other than that a little dirty but doesn't appear to be oily.

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,266 Posts
It's the valve cover gasket that's leaking not the manifold gaskets. Looks like it's not a bad leak though, could be worth a try to loosen the cover and shift around the gasket to line it up better as they are pretty expensive around $90. Turbo looks fine.

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
1999 dodge 2500 laramie SLT 5.9 extended cab auto 2wd long bed 5th wheel hauler
129 Posts
Can you actually hear exhaust leaking out? A piece of hose will isolate leaks for you. Get a piece 5 or 6 feet long, 1 end up to your ear, the other move along the manifold with the engine running. You'll hear it when you get to the leak. There's a company called remflex that makes thick fantastic gaskets. The local Napa sells them here but they are online as well. If you truly do have a leak I highly recommend one of those gaskets. While you have the manifold off, make sure it's true across the gasket surface with a straight edge. Have it resurfaced if it's not. Those gaskets will fix minor distortion on the manifold, just be careful while handling the gasket. It's so long and heavy it will fold itself in half if your not careful and it'll be ruined. The turbo looks fine other than someone was prying on the silencer with the snap ring still installed.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The compressor side is dirtier than the ex. side… do you have an air filter? Theres some soot around the outside of the ex. flange. You can carefully hammer your v band clamp tighter if it’s spread too much and bottoming out. I grease the clamps a little to help them pull down.

·
2,844 Posts
That looks exactly like the leak I had in both of my trucks. It is the rocker box gasket. Also known as the lower valve cover gasket. Quite easy to change. I bought both for about $40 each and it took about an hour or so for each.

Some good videos on YouTube that shows what it is exactly.

Reactions: Marq92

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 auto 4x4 56block
37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,266 Posts
Nice catch

Reactions: Joint performance

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, good catch. And if interested, I have a replacement manifold on hand to replace your cracked one if you feel inclined to replace it. It also has 2 pyro holes already tapped ready to go for monitoring EGT as I don't see anything installed on yours. This is always recommended.

Reactions: Joint performance
1 - 9 of 9 Posts