Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately, my 2003 ram 5.9 has been getting around 11-12 MPG.. not loaded, with a covered box.. All stock, except for a bullydog 4 inch exhaust. Banks Ram air intake.. With brand new clean filter. Also hummer wheels and tires.. I changed my fuel filter not too long ago (under 10,000 miles) Anyone have any answers? I'm sayin what the F!

My boss's 05 duramax with a chip driving in 4 low all over the mountain i work on with a 615 Litre tidy tank in the back is getting 9.8 on average! Mine is getting 11 driving around town? NOT loaded? What the fudge! any takers?

Thanks!

Evan

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Did you get the speedometer recalibrated for the larger tires or taking the tires into consideration when calculating the fuel economy?

MikeyB

·
Registered
866 Posts
With the larger tires you are traveling more miles than the odometer is reading. 35's put ya off by about 8%-10%. Your speedometer will also be off.

·
Registered
954 Posts
also how heavy is your foot? :rof

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine weighs about 4lbs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol- its not too heavy! I guess i just should recalibrate my speedo.. In due time i guess! How is this accomplished? Dealer? Or just get a smarty?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Smarty!!!!!! sounds like a great excuse to by one

·
Registered
866 Posts
Getting the smarty or other programmer that does it is your best bet.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
how many miles on your truck ? What gears ? are you runing any timing (box) ?how mutch does your truck wiegh ? Is it a stick or auto ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
when you recal your speedo will the odometer get corrected also?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Learn the shift points if you got an auto, I got 3.73's 2wd and stock tires. Shift points
15mph to second
25mph to third
35mph to fourth
49mph to OD
The only time i go over 1700 RPM's is the haul from 4th to OD, other than that i like to keep them at 1600 or so, roll up to 5mph if you know the lights. Rarely use your breaks, keep an eye on the lights if you do city driving.
With the mods i have at 64MPH I can manage to get 23 or so highway with an empty bed, if I bring it to 69 the truck will drop to about 19. Past 70 it just falls like a brick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts