Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine fan that is. That thing is always on. When i first start the truck it is on. While driving it is on, but it shuts off at 25 mph after the engine is at about 190.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My understanding is the fan runs to put a load on the engine to warm it up but the thermostat isnt open so it actually warms the engine up instead of cooling it off like you think a fan would

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting....makes sense i guess.....thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also on when the AC is on.

Pete

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Any codes in the ECM? I read somewhere that if the coolant temp sensor has a fault it will turn the fan on full as a safety measure. Mine is on a lot when running the A/C, I don't think I have ever heard it other than that, not even when pulling my camper.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I installed a 12' auxillary fan on the A/C condensor to help with that. This new electric fan comes on when the compressor comes on and will cycle off when the A/C compressor cycles off.
It even dropped the in cab temperature out of the A/C vents from 48 degrees down to 40 degrees. The main engine fan does not seem to come on as much as it used too. It will be interesting to see what it does while I am towing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A lot of people seem to think that the cooler the better but your engine is supposed to operate at like 190 on 2nd gen and 200 on 3rd gen but many people put fans on to lower the engine temp but those engines have to run at a certain temp to burn the fuel correctly among other things.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i took my fan right off. HUGE DIFFERANCE in performance and fuel. also reves like a small block.:peelout

·
Registered
374 Posts
i took my fan right off. HUGE DIFFERANCE in performance and fuel. also reves like a small block.:peelout
took it off..?

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, wht do you mean "took it off"??? You dont have a cooling fan anymore???

·
Registered
23 Posts
my fan stays engaged til i hit about 40 in my 04. always done it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts