Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I saw reference to diesels flowing more air than gassers. A 6.7L diesel @3000 rpm, and 30 psi manifold pressure requires around 900 CFM. Turbo required is 58-62 mm inducer.

In today's turbo world, 900 cfm isn't much.

Now, back to regular programming. Lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Never use an oiled filter like K&N as they are absolute junk.

First off, oil from the filter will start coating the temperature sensor and decrease intercooler efficiency.

The reason oil is required, is because the filter passes larger particles, and relies on the oil to hopefully catch them.

My gasser that had a new and properly oiled K&N, showed compressor wheel damage from foreign material. Remember, the turbo wheels can spin upwards of 130,000 rpm and it won't take much to do damage.

The only way a filter can get oily, is due to reverse flow, which is hard to do on a diesel. Wondering if the oil deposits start on the inside or outside. Taking out the temp sensor in the intake and carefully inspecting it may provide some clues.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I live in the central Sierra mountains and drive the highway 99 tractor silt corridor. Browns Diesel posts nasty farm truck filters several times a year. I never said the factory uses oil. The point is the new filter media technology with moisture, soot, silt......only appears to be oily. We have no clue what our filter media is comprised of. The push in filter technology is in capturing abrasive soot. Soot on my snow covered bumper appears oily.

Mercedes owned Chrysler from 1998 thru 2008 and their finger prints still exist to this day. Relax I’m on your side and only trying to provide a possible explanation.
The “possible” explanation is just what I posted. What he feels is the filter material itself. As you pointed out, the material has changed a great deal over time. The claim that the factory filter comes Pre oiled was just too stupid to let pass without a rebuke. Then it went downhill from there.
I will say I’ve collapsed 2 filters on Cummins applications without them being plugged with dirt. Both were on a skidder working in heavy rainfall. The filters became damp and a long hard pull with plenty of boost rendered both of them useless and the skidder barely able to get to the landing after dropping the hitch.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Never use an oiled filter like K&N as they are absolute junk.

First off, oil from the filter will start coating the temperature sensor and decrease intercooler efficiency.

The reason oil is required, is because the filter passes larger particles, and relies on the oil to hopefully catch them.

My gasser that had a new and properly oiled K&N, showed compressor wheel damage from foreign material. Remember, the turbo wheels can spin upwards of 130,000 rpm and it won't take much to do damage.

The only way a filter can get oily, is due to reverse flow, which is hard to do on a diesel. Wondering if the oil deposits start on the inside or outside. Taking out the temp sensor in the intake and carefully inspecting it may provide some clues.
As is shown by the factory refusal of engine warranty for any Dodge or Ram truck with an aftermarket air filter. A guy can find hours of reading by doing an internet search of “ Dusted diesel or Cummins engine .” It will invariably include reference to oiled air filters.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
So does the K&N oil mix well with the CCV oil already covering my intercooler? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good point. I forgot about the PCV, which isn't used in my other vehicle. K&N is still junk though. I need to start posting before drinking. Lol!

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The K&N will do a nice port and polish when used in the sand. You must admit that K&N has a killer promotional team to get so many people to jump to an inferior filter.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
The K&N will do a nice port and polish when used in the sand. You must admit that K&N has a killer promotional team to get so many people to jump to an inferior filter.
That's because you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The master marketer Gale Banks uses K&N filters in his cold air intakes. I purchased one for the CARB sticker and installed a S&B dry filter.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
He gets a fortune for his replacement filters too.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts