Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Absolutely. Any filter is a compromise between filtering ability and flow. Air or liquid. First, one must know the micron level of the filter media . Compare apples to apples. One of the variables is the number of pleats which effects the square inches of filter media. More media of the same quality and micron level allows for more trapped material before plugging the filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That might be the case too. Like Fram has more free flow but less filtration. Anyway I’m giving away my truck 3rd truck with 265k on odometer without a single engine problem. An engine can live with any kind of filter, as long as a filter “filters”. I wouldn’t bother much about which filter to install

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
thats because of where the air is pulling from, the fender under normal operation. I don’t think you can compare the hemi as it does not have a turbo pulling massive amount of air threw the air filter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Absolutely. Any filter is a compromise between filtering ability and flow. Air or liquid. First, one must know the micron level of the filter media . Compare apples to apples. One of the variables is the number of pleats which effects the square inches of filter media. More media of the same quality and micron level allows for more trapped material before plugging the filter.
Agreed! It's a always a compromise. I doubt though that FRAM has more square inches of filter media. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We put about 8k miles a month to a truck. And that air filter message was popping up sometimes at 4-5k after new filter installation(oreilly etc). That was kinda annoying to replace a filter every 2-3 weeks. Keep in mind that message has never appeared with factory filter. So in my case, beside original factory filter, Fram is the only one that works, available anywhere, feels and looks like factory one, inexpensive and no message. If that would be my personal use truck, going 15k a year and stuff, I might do some research, looking for more quality or a difference between them, but more likely wouldn’t care and would buy whatever replaces the dirty one. It’s just my experience and solution if anyone has the same problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
These filters come pre-oiled to help catch more dirt. What you're seeing is normal, diesels pull a lot more air than gassers and thus a lot more road grime and dirt gets caught in the filter. Replace it every 15k and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
There’s no oil on a new paper filter. What you’re feeling is the material itself. Stick to something you have actual knowledge of rather than posting false info. As for going somewhere else? I was here when you got here, and I’ll be here long after you’re gone.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
There’s no oil on a new paper filter. What you’re feeling is the material itself. Stick to something you have actual knowledge of rather than posting false info. As for going somewhere else? I was here when you got here, and I’ll be here long after you’re gone.
WOW.....................

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Did Fram and quality just get used in the same sentence? LOL. Really??
There will always be people using that junk, because it's cheaper. Spend all that big money on the truck, or car, and they get cheap.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Older mopar filters for cars and jeeps were washable, and came pre oiled.

Mopar P4510475 Air Filter, Air Filters - Amazon Canada
Did you notice that filter is listed as a performance piece. They’re cotton filter media, not paper, which is why they’re oiled. Though available through a dealer they were supplied by the aftermarket and sold as “ Direct Connection” parts. Much like the “ Purple” camshafts and other performance engine parts that weren’t installed at the factory.
I’d also note FCA doesn’t offer any performance air filter upgrades for these trucks, oiled or dry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tackifiers (sticky substance to attract dirt) are added to many modern day filter media including resin cellulose (paper), nano fiber synthetic media, foam and cotton gauze. The first two are replaced at service intervals or sometimes cleaned with shop air and reused. The latter two are washed and treated with a tackifier (filter oil).

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sometimes is the prominent word in the article you referenced. They aren’t added to any paper filter that’s either under induced vacuum (supercharged, turbo charged) because of the risk of filter collapse. No paper or nano fiber is oiled under any circumstances because of media degradation fron the oil. No factory installed filter is of the oiled variety under any circumstances because of the possibility of sensor contamination .

·
Registered
236 Posts
The tackifier used in cellulose and synthetic fiber is not oil it’s a dry tacky coating that is also resistant to oil and water. The coating attracts particles increasing filter efficiency as you drive. Filter collapse occurs when the filter becomes totally plugged. Mann filter uses this technology and is the OEM filter on Mercedes Diesel engines.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nano Fiber coated fiber media in action....

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The tackifier used in cellulose and synthetic fiber is not oil it’s a dry tacky coating that is also resistant to oil and water. The coating attracts particles increasing filter efficiency as you drive. Filter collapse occurs when the filter becomes totally plugged. Mann filter uses this technology and is the OEM filter on Mercedes Diesel engines.
I guess you’ve never seen one of our trucks filters after it gets damp ( think deep snow) and is worked hard. Collapsed to the point of inoperative. What merc specs for their motor has got nothing to do with our trucks’ air filter. Why don’t you just say you confirm the fact that factory filters aren’t oiled? That’s the point of the posts here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I live in the central Sierra mountains and drive the highway 99 tractor silt corridor. Browns Diesel posts nasty farm truck filters several times a year. I never said the factory uses oil. The point is the new filter media technology with moisture, soot, silt......only appears to be oily. We have no clue what our filter media is comprised of. The push in filter technology is in capturing abrasive soot. Soot on my snow covered bumper appears oily.

Mercedes owned Chrysler from 1998 thru 2008 and their finger prints still exist to this day. Relax I’m on your side and only trying to provide a possible explanation.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts