Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, but there is no pvc tube to the box, just before turbo inlet which should always be a vacum at that point. Why does it get oiled up? Truck has no blowby. Has 118k miles but has done this since I got it at 80k. I had engine deleted at 96k.
thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Mine does it as well, 2008 with 190k deleted since ~105. My 2006 5.9 did it too and it never had EGR or recycled PCV. I assume (possibly dangerous, I know) it’s just road grime and ambient air moisture. I just rotate the filter every time I do a filter drop or oil change until I can’t see thru the filter anymore when held up to sunlight - or when mileage starts dropping noticeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but there is no pvc tube to the box, just before turbo inlet which should always be a vacum at that point. Why does it get oiled up? Truck has no blowby. Has 118k miles but has done this since I got it at 80k. I had engine deleted at 96k.
thank you
Looks just like an air filter doing it's job.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
thank you
It's vacuum.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Road grime and vehicle emissions, including from all the diesels out there! The air is filthy at road level. Craig

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
🙄 y’all... My gassers must be immune to oil and diesel exhaust floating in the air. How do some even get by in the world! lol 😆
Gotta be sucking something thats makes it “oily”.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I am pretty sure I figured it out. When the truck is shut off, the heat from the engine is venting through the CVF and misting the filter, soaking the pleats, then the dirt captured in the filter is darkening it.
I will change the CVF and see what that does.

·
Registered
761 Posts
What's the CVF? Do you see any oil or any moisture in the tube going up from the CCV entry point in the turbo inlet elbow to the filter box?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Some paper element filters have a very light oil coating to improve their filtration. The air filters for my 2017 are like that. Even my old 2011 1500 had a slightly oiled air filter.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Some paper element filters have a very light oil coating to improve their filtration. The air filters for my 2017 are like that. Even my old 2011 1500 had a slightly oiled air filter.
What brand ?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
🙄 y’all... My gassers must be immune to oil and diesel exhaust floating in the air. How do some even get by in the world! lol 😆
Gotta be sucking something thats makes it “oily”.
As Van Halen would say, "you took the words right out of my mouth".

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the high boost of a turbo diesel sucks a lot more in than a normal Gasser.

The amount of bugs I clean out of my airbox in the summer is unreal. I never had that issue with my Hemi Rams in the past.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
The factory filters on both my 2011 1500 hemi and my 2017 3500 were oily like that. The replacement wix/napa gold filter currently on my 3500 is the same. Mind you the Wix is identical to the factory filter, just a different dye on the media.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Definitely don’t thing CCV has anything to do with it. Mine has been vented to a catch can for about 80k and it still looks like that every 5k when I drop and swap the oil filter. Oil impregnated element, maybe. Dunno. That’d explain why Genos ships the fleetguard air filters bagged...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeh, I've had a road draft hose for a few years and my OEM filter still looked oily, in no time. That's why I said road grime, earlier. I moved the batteries on my 03 and built a huge air filter, pretty much a double BHAF, where the Rt. battery was and the filters stayed dry, permanently, and they stayed clean a LOT longer. I saved that setup from my 03 and I recently modified it to fit my 12 so I can see if the results are the same. I really think these half-a$$ed CAIs that draw from the front, pick up a lot more [email protected] I think CAI is WAY over rated... Craig

·
Registered
11 Posts
As someone previously said that It looks like a filter that does the job. Road dirt, especially during winter/spring season(road reagents etc, after-winter dust on curbs, driving behind semis) turns a filter into dirty looking one pretty quick. I’m checking/replacing mine with every oil change at 15k, fine for Midwest weather. And it looks a lot better on summer changes, so I could leave it for another 15k. I’m using fram from Walmart, nothing special, just a filter. My 2017 6.7s have been giving me a message to replace air filters more frequently when I tried napa and oreilly filters. With fram that message never appears. Thinking it has a more lifespan.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts