Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people I'm really confused as to what kind of programmer/downloader to get.

Everybody has a different opinion or preference.

So here is what I'm after, which one should I get.

MPG mostly highway
Tow a travel trailer 8000 lbs in the summer.
Don't like the thought of serious mods ie. drilling holes anywhere.
I would like to have a little bit more hp. :) Just to show off when I have a GM or Ford beside me at a light.
The only mods on my truck right now is afe cold air intake. I would like to have the option of clearing codes. Price is also considered in this. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for what I'm getting. I plan on maybe deleting the dpf and maybe egr. I can't do too much that would screw me up for getting an inspection done when I moved to a different province. I'm in the air force it's a matter of time before I have to move so don't want to screw myself and not have my truck meet inspection criteria's.

Please help me out figure out which one would be better for me.

thanks Guys
by the way I love this site.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'de start out with an Edge. It's great for HP and you don't have to run a bunch of gauges with it. You can also clear codes on startup. If you stack it with a TS MP8, you'll gain a little more mileage too. Do the DPF and EGR delete too. As far as emissions, just register your truck wherever there are no emissions, and it doesn't matter where you move to. I live in Utah. We have emissions here, but my truck is registered in the state of Alabama. You need a proof of residency of course, then you're good to go.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Oh, you will need to drill a hole in your manifold for the EGT probe for the Edge though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
pretty easy install however, and I agree with EDGE and mp-8 are killer for some quick fix power, with little damage done..IE: 1 hole and a shimmed fuel rail

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would agree with the edge. You get everything your asking for, and for all it does it is fairly priced, imho.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought a Superchips 3808. I'll give my opinion in a few weeks. I chose it based on it's ease of use for mechanical mental midgets like me.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,748 Posts
Power Adder

You Could Also Try The Ppe Downloader. If You Need Service Just Unload The Program, No Boxes Under The Hood For The Dealer To See. Then Just Reload. The Extreme Setting Is 115 Horsepower And It Kicks Real Hard, Tow Is Good And Much More Gentle When Your Hard On It. If You Still Want Gauges You Can Add An Edge Insight..

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
The EGT probe is almost a Must for even stock trucks. Its good to know that info when towing as you plan to do. The Edge is a good option. The PMT is also a good option, if you dont have a DPF delete then you wont have to install an EGT probe for it. It reads the factory one. It has the option of an aftermarket one though. Its a little more $$$ though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts