Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always assumed it was because of the 4.5" tall block in the rear, but now I'm not so sure (It's the '98 in my sig). Do the dual wheel trucks hop worse than single wheel trucks? The truck does have 203k miles on it, and it did haul some weight at one time. Could the leaf springs be worn out, causing the hop? It's gotten so bad, that I'm afraid something is going to break. Normally when coming from an ice patch to the road surface again.

Originally, I was going to get some traction bars and be done with it. But if the springs are worn out (any way to tell?), it's about $100 more to go with new springs. Possibly even eliminating the rear block. My '01 has no wheel hop, but it's a 2wd automatic. Not sure if having no rear block and an automatic makes a difference, but somehow it does. Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My dually will hop badly if the rears are inflated to 80 psi or more without a load.
Empty with the tires at 50 psi there is no hop at all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think mine are at 65 with no load. I used to run them at 80, but they wore too quickly in the rear since I don't haul anything. I wonder if lowering it to 50 would help. Is 45 too low for the front and rears?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
45 may be ok for the back but is too low for up front with the engine weight.
I run both my rigs at 65 front. Seems to be a popular psi for the folks here.

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
Too low pressure in the duals may cause rubbing of the sides.

Traction bars are cheap and solved my issues. When I was still @ 450hp, I could launch in 2wd and hook!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts