Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From idle I can hammer the throttle and around 2000 rpms and more it just sounds horrible. Really bad timing rattle. I've loaded sw5 sw7 and sw9 all with the same results. Running 3 tq managment, 1 rail, 1 timing. I have everything in my sig minus the juice. I've been using it for gauges. Took it off now just to make sure it wasnt adding timing. I put the ecm back to stock and put the juice back on for now. But I miss the power of the Smarty already.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
are you positive its timing rattle, and not valve rattle, how many miles on the truck? have you ever adjusted the valves?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got 64,000 miles on it. And I have never adjusted the valves. I know its timing rattle and I know its the Smarty thats doing it. I set the truck back to stock and no more rattle.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also played with the timing on the Smarty. But the same results.

·
Northern CA Chapter President
3,320 Posts
could be rail pop. does the noise sounds like its coming out of your exhaust??

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could be rail pop. does the noise sounds like its coming out of your exhaust??
No it sounds almost like when you run 87 octane in a high performance motor u know what i mean kinda like the pinging sound.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I also played with the timing on the Smarty. But the same results.
Hey BSouth,

You probably already know this... I didn't and was "playing" with different settings wondering what was going on because they all seemed to be the same...

When you adjust the programmable parameters, such as timing or torque management, you must save them, THEN reload a Catcher SW number. If all you are doing is saving the settings, you aren't changing anything in the truck/engine ECM...

Seems obvious once you have this figured out. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Also, timing 1 is stock so you should not hear any additional timing rattle vs. No Smarty.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
you can get vavle rattle, from the lashes on the valve being set wrong, it will usually occur with a slight knock/tinging sound, some people confuse it with timing advance/rattle, and it will get faster and slower with accel and decel...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
From idle I can hammer the throttle and around 2000 rpms and more it just sounds horrible. Really bad timing rattle. I've loaded sw5 sw7 and sw9 all with the same results. Running 3 tq managment, 1 rail, 1 timing. I have everything in my sig minus the juice. I've been using it for gauges. Took it off now just to make sure it wasnt adding timing. I put the ecm back to stock and put the juice back on for now. But I miss the power of the Smarty already.
Well if your running, #1 timing, its NOT timing rattle b/c #1 adds ZERO timing, try running on a timing setting like #2 or 3.

·
Wyoming BAMF
1,711 Posts
How do you figure it is no timing? Look at the website it is stock ie stock smarty programming even programming has stock timing but odd programming adds timing. Smarty add an load of timing on any program you are running well tnt anyways not really sure about revo didnt any of you guys look at the smarty timing thread I dont know about you guys but the possiblility of running 30* timing scares me a little bit good way to mess up an engine as well...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey BSouth,

You probably already know this... I didn't and was "playing" with different settings wondering what was going on because they all seemed to be the same...

When you adjust the programmable parameters, such as timing or torque management, you must save them, THEN reload a Catcher SW number. If all you are doing is saving the settings, you aren't changing anything in the truck/engine ECM...

Seems obvious once you have this figured out. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Also, timing 1 is stock so you should not hear any additional timing rattle vs. No Smarty.
I did not know this. Thats some very helpful info. Thanks a ton! No wonder nothing was changing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any news BSouth? Have you tried what louis had to say?
I have not. I'm headed out to the truck as soon as I eat breakfast. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
590 Posts
you can get vavle rattle, from the lashes on the valve being set wrong, it will usually occur with a slight knock/tinging sound, some people confuse it with timing advance/rattle, and it will get faster and slower with accel and decel...
sorry to hijack, but what is the solution for this?? My truck is making a funny tinging sound and fits the description. It runs great, but just has this strange sound...

·
Registered
941 Posts
How do you figure it is no timing? Look at the website it is stock ie stock smarty programming even programming has stock timing but odd programming adds timing. Smarty add an load of timing on any program you are running well tnt anyways not really sure about revo didnt any of you guys look at the smarty timing thread I dont know about you guys but the possiblility of running 30* timing scares me a little bit good way to mess up an engine as well...
Where are you coming up with 30* of timing?????

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I loaded sw7 back on. Set the tq man. @ 3, timing @ 1, and rail @ 1. Still has a little rattle but not as bad as the default smarty setting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could it be your injectors rattling from the added pressure? My noise gets worse when I turn my mp8 so I always assumed it was from the added RP.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts