Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For those links to the TFL site showing the Ford v Chevy v RAM, keep in mind that is not the latest Powerstroke update, which appeared for the 2020 model year. The actual specs are 475HP and 1050lb-ft, and the latest TFL runs show this new Ford diesel dominated the others in terms of quickness with a load and even fuel economy on par or better. I was disappointed how the new HO Cummins performed, especially since I own one. I've not driven a 2020 Powerstroke; however, I owned two 2017 (current body style) Powerstrokes with 440HP and 925lb-ft.

Compared to a 2500 RAM, an F-250 has a 105HP advantage, and a 200lb-ft advantage. That's pretty major, plus a better transmission. In my experience, the 2019 HO Cummins I own pulls as hard as my 2017 Fords (both had 3.55 axles, however). But from what I read, they do not pull as hard as the 2020 Ford - the latest TFL video on the 2020 trucks proves that, or seems to. The Ford 6R140 transmission was much nicer than the Aisin. I really do not like my Aisin much at all for daily or pulling. Its certainly not undriveable, but it is clunky, and seems to flare and be laggy a lot of the time. Tow/Haul works very well, especially with the aggressive downshifts during braking, and the exhaust brake is much better than the Ford. However, I never had problems slowing down a trailer in the Fords.

As far as reliability, I don't see a vast advantage with the Cummins anymore...the most vulnerable part of a modern diesel, the fuel system, is the same on both Ford and RAM. Don't be fooled into thinking the cab must come off a Ford for every little job - it does not - and once the upper and lower intakes are removed you gain a lot of space. The Ford engine bay does look like a bomb went off, but things disassemble in a logical way. Furthermore, removing the cab is not that hard...Ford designed it to be pretty easy, and once the cab is raised access becomes much better than a Cummins still in the engine bay.

Lastly, Ford has an advantage in cab space for crew cabs, at least until the new 2019 half ton cab is adopted.

All that said, yes...the interior of the RAM is nicer overall, and I think the RAM HD trucks track down the highway a little better than the Ford. Ride quality of my 3500 SRW is pretty awful, but its the same for GM or Ford.

Reactions: Otis30 and Huskerz1

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Compared to a 2500 RAM, an F-250 has a 105HP advantage, and a 200lb-ft advantage.
And comparing a F-350 to Ram 3500 HO (since you compared the Aisin to to Ford tranny in the following sentences) its a 75 HP advantage and a 50 lb-ft torque advantage for the Ford. Doesn't really matter to me personally; I'd much rather have the Ram exhaust brake living and towing in CO. The new 10 speeds reputation is still in the making. I have a feeling the next iteration of the Ford's interior will either catch up to or eclipse the Ram. I also enjoyed doing oil and fuel filter changes more on the Ford than I do on the Ram; much more convenient.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When the times comes, and it will, pull the cab off the Ferd to work on it.
There's quite a few videos of Ford technicians on YT showing the cab being removed on Super Duty diesels for easier access...some older videos from a tech named FLMZ and current videos from a channel called Powerstroke Tech Talk with Arod. Both show the procedure and its nowhere near as hard or time consuming as someone might expect. Beyond that though...what procedures, specifically, do you need to remove a Ford cab to do? My guess is most folks don't know, and just parrot what they have heard to somehow justify the Cummins being better. Its ironic that the things you do most often...like change the oil and fuel filters...are much easier on the Ford.

Reactions: Otis30

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Ram is definitely easier to work on, which has been convenient for me since my company truck, a 2011 F250 with 6.7 Powerstroke, has made it 220,000 miles now with zero repairs, just scheduled maintenance. My personal 2016 Ram has needed a lot of repairs in the first 100k miles.

...and my Ram rattles over every bump, unlike the Ford.

Still, I went Ram for the ease of repairs since I intend to keep it for ten years which will be around 400k miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There's quite a few videos of Ford technicians on YT showing the cab being removed on Super Duty diesels for easier access...some older videos from a tech named FLMZ and current videos from a channel called Powerstroke Tech Talk with Arod. Both show the procedure and its nowhere near as hard or time consuming as someone might expect. Beyond that though...what procedures, specifically, do you need to remove a Ford cab to do? My guess is most folks don't know, and just parrot what they have heard to somehow justify the Cummins being better. Its ironic that the things you do most often...like change the oil and fuel filters...are much easier on the Ford.
I was thinking Powerstroke Tech Talk with Arod would be a good source of info on the Powerstroke, since I was considering one and he's an actual Ford mechanic filming himself working on them at a dealership, until I reached out to him.

I specifically asked about the CP4 and instances of failure and his first response was to deny any knowledge of what a CP4 was. Said no one at a dealership refers to parts by their names, only part numbers. Said you look up a fuel system and there is nothing called a Bosch CP4 pump. Even encouraged me to go to a parts counter and ask for a CP4 and they would look at me like I was stupid. Insisted maybe that's what it's called by other brands, but not in Ford documents. Then he referenced a part number and said maybe that was what I meant, but when I looked it up it was a 6.0 HPFP

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I was thinking Powerstroke Tech Talk with Arod would be a good source of info on the Powerstroke, since I was considering one and he's an actual Ford mechanic filming himself working on them at a dealership, until I reached out to him.

I specifically asked about the CP4 and instances of failure and his first response was to deny any knowledge of what a CP4 was. Said no one at a dealership refers to parts by their names, only part numbers. Said you look up a fuel system and there is nothing called a Bosch CP4 pump. Even encouraged me to go to a parts counter and ask for a CP4 and they would look at me like I was stupid. Insisted maybe that's what it's called by other brands, but not in Ford documents. Then he referenced a part number and said maybe that was what I meant, but when I looked it up it was a 6.0 HPFP
Bill Hewitt at PowerstrokeHelp would be a good source.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For those links to the TFL site showing the Ford v Chevy v RAM, keep in mind that is not the latest Powerstroke update, which appeared for the 2020 model year. The actual specs are 475HP and 1050lb-ft, and the latest TFL runs show this new Ford diesel dominated the others in terms of quickness with a load and even fuel economy on par or better. I was disappointed how the new HO Cummins performed, especially since I own one. I've not driven a 2020 Powerstroke; however, I owned two 2017 (current body style) Powerstrokes with 440HP and 925lb-ft.

Compared to a 2500 RAM, an F-250 has a 105HP advantage, and a 200lb-ft advantage. That's pretty major, plus a better transmission. In my experience, the 2019 HO Cummins I own pulls as hard as my 2017 Fords (both had 3.55 axles, however). But from what I read, they do not pull as hard as the 2020 Ford - the latest TFL video on the 2020 trucks proves that, or seems to. The Ford 6R140 transmission was much nicer than the Aisin. I really do not like my Aisin much at all for daily or pulling. Its certainly not undriveable, but it is clunky, and seems to flare and be laggy a lot of the time. Tow/Haul works very well, especially with the aggressive downshifts during braking, and the exhaust brake is much better than the Ford. However, I never had problems slowing down a trailer in the Fords.

As far as reliability, I don't see a vast advantage with the Cummins anymore...the most vulnerable part of a modern diesel, the fuel system, is the same on both Ford and RAM. Don't be fooled into thinking the cab must come off a Ford for every little job - it does not - and once the upper and lower intakes are removed you gain a lot of space. The Ford engine bay does look like a bomb went off, but things disassemble in a logical way. Furthermore, removing the cab is not that hard...Ford designed it to be pretty easy, and once the cab is raised access becomes much better than a Cummins still in the engine bay.

Lastly, Ford has an advantage in cab space for crew cabs, at least until the new 2019 half ton cab is adopted.

All that said, yes...the interior of the RAM is nicer overall, and I think the RAM HD trucks track down the highway a little better than the Ford. Ride quality of my 3500 SRW is pretty awful, but its the same for GM or Ford.
I shopped The RAM 3500 DRW MC and the the Ford F350 CC DRW pretty extensively before I threw down my money. This a pretty fair overall assessment. Two strikes against the Ford for me was it was as long as a bus and the interior/guage layout. If Ford had a shortbox DRW and the interior layout was better just by a little bit, I'd probably be driving one now. But we got used to the Mega Cab roominess and the the RAM new interior/guage layout was a homerun. Coulda gone F350 SRW but I wanted a DRW for my towing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I shopped The RAM 3500 DRW MC and the the Ford F350 CC pretty extensively before I threw down my money. This a pretty fair overall assessment. Two strikes against the Ford for me was it was as long as a bus and the interior/guage layout. If Ford had a shortbox DRW and the interior layout was better just by a little bit, I'd probably be driving one now. But we got used to the Mega Cab roominess and the the RAM new interior/guage layout was a homerun. Coulda gone F350 SRW but I wanted a DRW for my towing.
I've never actually compared but this led me to.

Didn't realize a Super Duty CC LB was over a foot longer

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, the back seat of the Ford is wonderful compared to the crew cab of the Ram. I just wish Ram would offer the mega with a long bed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, the back seat of the Ford is wonderful compared to the crew cab of the Ram. I just wish Ram would offer the mega with a long bed.
That would be one looong truck. I found the F350 back seat ok but on the chincy plastic side of things with regard to the center cup holders. Kids would have those broke in 2 minutes. I was shopping the King Ranch.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That would be one looong truck. I found the F350 back seat ok but on the chincy plastic side of things with regard to the center cup holders. Kids would have those broke in 2 minutes. I was shopping the King Ranch.
Long doesn't bother me one bit, I don't live in a crowded urban area.

My personal 2013 Ford didn't have the center cup holders and even though my work truck (2011 Lariat) has them, the back seat doesn't get used much so I have no idea how well they last. Everything else about the Ford has lasted better than my Ram so I don't doubt they would hold up just fine. Don't get me wrong, there are things l like better about the Ram, but if money were no object there would be a bright blue 2020 F450 in my driveway and I wouldn't care how big a PITA is was for someone else to work on.

Until that winning lotto ticket though, I keep the 2016 Ram because despite it's many faults, it's an easy truck to work on, and it gets the job done just fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Long doesn't bother me one bit, I don't live in a crowded urban area.

My personal 2013 Ford didn't have the center cup holders and even though my work truck (2011 Lariat) has them, the back seat doesn't get used much so I have no idea how well they last. Everything else about the Ford has lasted better than my Ram so I don't doubt they would hold up just fine. Don't get me wrong, there are things l like better about the Ram, but if money were no object there would be a bright blue 2020 F450 in my driveway and I wouldn't care how big a PITA is was for someone else to work on.

Until that winning lotto ticket though, I keep the 2016 Ram because despite it's many faults, it's an easy truck to work on, and it gets the job done just fine.
Eh...I test drove a 450 as well. Rough ride along with my other observations. Not much if any turn radius difference between my MC and the 450 that I could notice. Plenty of DRW's in the burbs and city. More so than around Hulet, Sundance,or even that shithole Gillette all put together. Don't get me wrong, the F350 KR is a helluva truck. Just not enough to earn my money in 2020. But if I would have picked one up it would have been iconic silver Platinum FX4.

Reactions: Wyo George

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have to be reaching the end of the horsepower/torque race. You can only squeeze so much out of a 6.7, a transmission, and axles and still have a vehicle that has a reasonable weight. I'm not sure how much more we need. My HO Cummins will tow 25K trailers at speeds that are completely unsafe, all day long.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts