Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
IMHO; They can all do the job. The size of the job dictates the capacity needed. The question I asked myself is not why a 2500, but why a RAM?

There is a LOT to be said for simplicity which equates to reliability, dependability and serviceability.

I just got back from camping with my cousin and an old buddy. My cousin has a 2019 F-350 Lariat and my buddy has a 2020 GMC 3500 Denali. When I showed up with my RAM 2500 Big Horn, I heard all of the trash talk. 10 speed this, American built that, who has more cameras, who has more torque. In the end, we all tow large RV trailers and everyone made it to camp, we all averaged about the same mileage, and we all equally pulled up the same grades. I don't believe the all of the hype with horsepower and torque. 50, 100, 150 ft/lbs doesn't really make a noticeable difference when using it normally. When you are near 1000 ft/lbs, these numbers are just a small percentage of power and marginally noticeable.

In the end, I checked out the Ford and the GMC. They are nice trucks but the RAM just fits me better, and was way more affordable. Their trucks were close to $80k. I paid $53k for mine. The Ford honestly scares me when you open the hood. It’s a giant mess of parts under there. After seeing cabs off frames to do repairs on Fords, that seems excessive. The GMC seemed to be better laid out than the Ford but just felt cheap and I feel it looks terrible. The RAM just seems more refined, yet simple. I'm happy with my purchase and would buy it again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
...try a different one next time.
My dad always bought GMs, my uncles bought Chevys. My Godfather always had Fords, whether they were cars, trucks, race cars, or race engines in anything that was raced (although he did put a dodge hemi in a 32 duece for fun). A buddy when I was growing up raced Fords off-road in the Baja events. No one had diesels.
I always preferred anything race related. There is no substitute for torque but 8000+ RPM is music to me. So, my first truck was a bare bones Ford with monster power. Loved it.

Many trucks later, I own a quiet Peugeot. LOL.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The SO and 68RFE are butter smooth when daily driving and city use. The HO/Aisin is much more industrial, but right at home pulling heavy loads. The H.O./Aisin is such a brute.

And the ride is night and day between the two.
I'll second that. The 3500 HO with Aisin sucks for daily driving. But with a load it's plain great.

I prefer the 68RFE for sure. And the ride of a 2500.

·
Registered
460 Posts
B344C730-7A6B-4329-88BA-575FD5960405_1_201_a.jpeg

65 mph pulling my loaded toy hauler up a mountain outside Franklin NC two weeks ago. Look at the torque readout on the tho-right of the gauge. That's more than my old 5.9 Cummins and it pulled super.

To say the new Cummins is low on power is ridiculous. I literally "cruised" up this mountain and really was NOT close to a smashed pedal. In fact, near immediately after this picture, I had to slow down as it was too fast uphill for comfort on a turn.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Everyone has a different commute, with different needs, on different roads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve been never felt in need of more power when driving mine. Someone mentioned earlier that there is a difference between flywheel ratings and real world ratings.

I experienced this when towing a 12k camper alongside my buddies GMC towing his 8k pound camper. Going up a steep grade i pulled away from him. Provided good material for my 5 year old to call him on truck phone and talk trash. Lol

Either way. Any of the big 3 will get you there and back. I feel like RAM really has the best looking and refined truck since the 2019 refresh/redesign. My friend just bought a new F250 a month ago and after riding in my RAM he’s considering trading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
So here’s my .01
Owned 16 ram 2500
Then 17 f350 dually
Now 20 3500 HO dually

2500 got better fuel mileage with 3.42s pulled well even lifted and 37s, tow haul and eb was great

F350 pulled good, but had to rev it harder to do the same pulling, seemed like it was over 2500 rpm a lot. Didn’t like staying in 6th gear as long as I liked to. Exhaust brake and tow haul were garbage compared to the Ram.
Empty it was a much quicker truck than the ram
Fuel mileage was ok

20 3500 HO

More clunky in lower gears, it’s a beast towing, feels very powerful from 1500-2500rpm, will stay in 6th for a while, if I see a decent hill I will lock out 6th. Fuel mileage is a little less than the f350. Exhaust brake and tow haul is pretty violent, works amazing. However I have to use the automatic exhaust brake on this truck because it works so well.
Overall a better towing experience than the f350 for sure

Midrange power seems to show when towing, not the max tq and power.

Reactions: gatorguy

·
Registered
275 Posts
If La Puta pulled the same on the street as my 2005 F350 (V10 power), it would be perfect. The V10 has better throttle response pulling away from a standstill, and is great up to 35 mph, plus is super quiet. The pedal feel on the F350 is far better but that's because of the modifications I made to the brakes and brake lines. La Puta is superior on everything else.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So here’s my .01
Owned 16 ram 2500
Then 17 f350 dually
Now 20 3500 HO dually
Glad to see they got your username changed lol Now you need to update that profile pic :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can you not actually get 4.10s on a SRW truck?

Website let's you build one that way, but when I search for one they're all 3.73

Wouldn't be the first time the Ram website had options wrong

·
Registered
666 Posts
Can you not actually get 4.10s on a SRW truck?

Website let's you build one that way, but when I search for one they're all 3.73

Wouldn't be the first time the Ram website had options wrong
That's for a gas truck. Ram has only offered one rear end ratio for SRW diesels since 2014. From 2014 - 18 it 3.42s, 2019-20 it is 3.73s

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's for a gas truck. Ram has only offered one rear end ratio for SRW diesels since 2014. From 2014 - 18 it 3.42s, 2019-20 it is 3.73s
I knew the gas has 4.10s, but the website lets you spec the diesel with 4.10s so I just wanted to verify

·
Registered
666 Posts
It shows 4.10 as an option but as soon as you choose 4.10 this pops up, changing you back to a hemi and the 8sp tranny.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
And then you will a goofball, like me, with a gas truck and plastic transmission pan, trying to hang out with the cool kids on CumminsForum

Reactions: tomk and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
So you need a good trans to get a good gear ratio? Kinda makes sense.
Except that the 68RFE would benefit much more from the 4.10s.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The 4.10’s have always been available on the 3500, just not on the 2500

61 - 80 of 103 Posts