Cummins Diesel Forum banner

why do cummins sweak when you turn them off?

4K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  GloNDark 
#1 ·
:confused013:

#5 ·
usually from higher compression, and its caused by the belt slipping a tad everytime you turn it off... not all components stop at same spped under the hood...

#6 ·
I also heard that they rotate backwards a revolution or so when you shut them off causing the shake

#8 ·
When my vp was going bad my truck didn't really squeak when i turned it off. Now that I have the new injection pump in it squeaks like normal. ?? go figure,

#25 ·
our ford did it too till i got one of those. we have been running the same one for 5 years now, no problems.

#13 ·
It's all of the above, the belt heats up so it's more flexible, the diesel requires a lot of compression to work and when you turn it off there goes all that compression so everything basically comes to a stop, the belt can't keep up so it slips on the pulley's making the chirp. It's normal. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
i've never had a squeak...maybe once but i can't even remember

#17 ·
mine does it to and my boy who is 12 loves the sound and feel of it, he likes me to turn the radio down and he sits back in the seat so he can feel the shack of it, it is cool how much he loves my truck.

#19 ·
Put a Goodyear Gatorback belt on and it will never squeak again!

#20 ·
I have noticed that whenever my air conditioner is on and the AC clutch is engaged it squeaks. I think it adds more drag on the belt stopping it faster. The fan keeps spinning for a split second and turns the pulley causing it to squeak.

#21 ·
it's funny, mine and a buddy of mine never have the sweak...don't know why, it's not like i'm run'n a gator belt, just the average run of the mill advance special.....course it not sweak'n is fine by me, i have an old gasser chevy dumptruck that the belts sweak at around 4000rpm....it sucks...

#27 ·
ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT CHIRP AT SHUT DOWN
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 09-004-06, Date of Issue: March 31, 2006
CHRYSLER: 2003-2006 (DH/D1) Ram Truck (Diesel)
GROUP: Engine

Related Ref Number(s): 09-004-06
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT:
Accessory Drive Belt Chirp At Shut Down

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing an overrunning clutch pulley on the generator.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Diesel Engine, sale code ETH.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A chirping sound maybe heard coming from the accessory drive belt when the engine is shutdown.

DIAGNOSIS:
If a customer indicates that the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
PARTS DESCRIPTION
Qty. Part No. Description
1 05183490 AA Overrunning Clutch Pulley

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
SPECIAL TOOLS DESCRIPTION
8823 Generator Shaft Holder

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Disconnect and isolate both negative battery cables.
Remove the air cleaner box.
Loosen the accessory drive belt and disengage it from the generator.
Remove the generator.
Remove the drive pulley from the generator.
Install the new drive pulley, p/n 05183490AA, using toll number 8823 to hold the generator shaft. Tighten the nut to 80 Nm (60 ft. lbs.)
Install the generator. Tighten the bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.)
Install the accessory drive belt.
Install the air cleaner box.
Connect the negative battery cables.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
TIME ALLOWANCE
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-05-01-98 Install Overrunning Clutch Pulley 0.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
FAILURE CODE
ZZ Service Action

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.