Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me nuts - on the build and price site, I'm trying to build a 2021 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 long bed in Tradesman trim. I select the HO Cummins, no problem. Then I select the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel prep package, and the system automatically forces me to add the Max Tow package, dual rear wheels, etc. Why? I have also tried adding the Safety Package before adding the 5th wheel prep package, and that too forces the max tow package.

Frankly, I'd like a 3500 with gooseneck prep and the safety package, but single rear wheels and no max tow. What gives?

Furthermore, I noticed if you choose a 3500 with the Standard Output Cummins, selecting no other option besides the Gooseneck /5th wheel package not only forces the max tow package but also forces the HO Cummins.

None of this occurs when building the exact same truck but in 3/4 ton spec.

One last note - if building a 3500 crew cab 4x4 long bed HO Cummins in Big Horn trim, none of these restrictions apply, either. You can select the gooseneck / 5th wheel prep without being forced to add anything different.

BFD, thanks for your comment. I'm not sure if this is a glitch on Build & Price, or there is indeed some requirement for needing max tow when selecting the gooseneck prep pack. I can't see any reason for it, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I apologize for using the D word but when I ordered a new Dodge CTD in 97, I used a small midwest dealer and dealt with the truck sales manager. He new all the packages and was very helpful. He saved me a bundle and I found out how big of lying, cheating, crooks the big city dealers are.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
8,650 Posts
It could easily be a glitch in the software, those build it tools are always finnicky

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree with Loki. I’d talk directly with a dealer if ordering new.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Remember....humans are responsible!

Reactions: Repins 3

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I order alot of ____ online. Not sure I'd order a truck online like a large double pepperoni special from Dominos. Why not just go to the dealer?

Reactions: Repins 3

·
Registered
149 Posts
The online build tool sucks. It has forced all that extra crap for a while. Makes no sense, because as you said a Big Horn doesn't force it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Have you considered the B&W gooseneck hitch and Companion 5th wheel hitch setup, instead of OEM?

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is driving me nuts - on the build and price site, I'm trying to build a 2021 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 long bed in Tradesman trim. I select the HO Cummins, no problem. Then I select the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel prep package, and the system automatically forces me to add the Max Tow package, dual rear wheels, etc. Why? I have also tried adding the Safety Package before adding the 5th wheel prep package, and that too forces the max tow package.

Frankly, I'd like a 3500 with gooseneck prep and the safety package, but single rear wheels and no max tow. What gives?
I just ordered a 2021 Tradesman H.O with the 5th wheel package exactly like you are talking about. It is no problem it must be the online ordering system. The dealer was able to get just what you are describing for me.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Furthermore, I noticed if you choose a 3500 with the Standard Output Cummins, selecting no other option besides the Gooseneck /5th wheel package not only forces the max tow package but also forces the HO Cummins.

None of this occurs when building the exact same truck but in 3/4 ton spec.

One last note - if building a 3500 crew cab 4x4 long bed HO Cummins in Big Horn trim, none of these restrictions apply, either. You can select the gooseneck / 5th wheel prep without being forced to add anything different.

BFD, thanks for your comment. I'm not sure if this is a glitch on Build & Price, or there is indeed some requirement for needing max tow when selecting the gooseneck prep pack. I can't see any reason for it, but who knows.
Save yourself the headache, don’t get the dumb Ram 5th wheel prep group, get an aftermarket bw setup. It’s better in EVERY way. I think Ram went and hired a retard that couldn’t get a job at Walmart to design their 5 wheel prep group. Not only does it look dumb, but it puts a lot of unneeded holes in your bed and the latch gizmo for your safety chains is way to far out and to big. Like I said save yourself the headache and money and get a bw. They build hitches for a living, not trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
Easy to say the dealer should know more. First dealer I talked with didn't even know the trucks were available for order. Second dealer, I knew more about the trucks, options, and packages than the guy selling them.

YMMV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Save yourself the headache, don’t get the dumb Ram 5th wheel prep group, get an aftermarket bw setup. It’s better in EVERY way. I think Ram went and hired a retard that couldn’t get a job at Walmart to design their 5 wheel prep group. Not only does it look dumb, but it puts a lot of unneeded holes in your bed and the latch gizmo for your safety chains is way to far out and to big. Like I said save yourself the headache and money and get a bw. They build hitches for a living, not trucks.

Are you talking about the factory mount setup or the MOPAR hitch?

·
Registered
315 Posts
So then what kind of mount system do you like? Not the hitch, how it mounts to the truck
Bw system. It’s clean and easy to use. Bw does make a hitch to fit into the Ram 5th wheel prep group that is a step up from the factory stuff. I just do not like their 5th wheel prep group. It’s a clunky system that’s an answer to a problem that didn’t exist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bw system. It’s clean and easy to use. Bw does make a hitch to fit into the Ram 5th wheel prep group that is a step up from the factory stuff. I just do not like their 5th wheel prep group. It’s a clunky system that’s an answer to a problem that didn’t exist.

I would say annoying rails that stick up almost 2 inches in the bed are a problem that exists. My current truck has that setup and they're a pain in my ass. Crap is always getting caught on them when sliding it in or out of the bed

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would say annoying rails that stick up almost 2 inches in the bed are a problem that exists. My current truck has that setup and they're a pain in my ass. Crap is always getting caught on them when sliding it in or out of the bed
I don't use a fifth wheel, I have gooseneck balls in everything

·
Registered
315 Posts
In that case, yes I do agree an aftermarket solution is better. For a 5th wheel though I'd rather have the factory puck system.
I for some reason thought you were looking for a gooseneck system. Lol.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you considered the B&W gooseneck hitch and Companion 5th wheel hitch setup, instead of OEM?
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the online build system is messed up. You can't actually buy the truck online, I just wanted to see the final MSRP with the options I wanted.

As for the factory hitch prep, I had it on my 2018 and on my current 2019 truck. It works perfectly fine for towing gooseneck, which is what I do. I prefer the factory trailer harness in the bed and the puck system has never been a problem for me.

Reactions: boatdude12
1 - 20 of 21 Posts