Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are my tires feathering on the outside edge? (in the front only)

I have an 07 2500 cummins with;

Superlift 2inch longer springs
Bilstein 5100 shocks all around
Superlift stabilizer
Procomp XAT's 35/12.5/17

2k miles on suspension parts and tires. 7k Miles on whole truck. Aligment checked twice and seems to be within spec. WTF??!

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
i would go pay the $$ and get an alignment and have them balance them also. that is cheaper than a new set of tires if they are wearing fast...my .02

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
sorry didn't read the whole thread...maybe try a different shop for the alignment?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Supposedly, yes...
that would be where my money is at. If you look at the truck from the front, the wheels look pretty straight up and down? If you're driving down the street and you loosen up on the steering wheel does it pull to one side...more than usual?

Otherwise I think these other guys might be right it could be a balance issue.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have been told that chrystler alignment specks are not really what they need to be. I have a jeep that doesn't drive straight my cummins doesn't drive straight and my g/f dakota doesn' drive straight they all pull to the right. The dakota was even realined and came back the same. Have heard others with jeeps that have the same problem. Good tires on all with right pressure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same problem. I have 35X12.5X20 Toyo MT's. For the first 5K after my lift went on, the tires went to hell in the front. Feathered all of the lugs on their trailing edges. Got really bumpy and noisy.

I had it realigned at, of all places, a shop that does Porsches, Ferraris, etc. Then I also added Centramatic balancers to take care of any balance issues that there may have been. They rotated the fronts to the rear and the current fronts don't have any problems yet (~12k).

Don't know if it was the alignment or the balancers. They did say that they had to work pretty hard to get it to track straight tho.

G/L.

Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea dodge is notoriously bad for pulling to one side and bad alignment. Second gens with lifts had a lot of problems too, couldn't stay in the correct camber etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they were out of balance i would feel it, no?

The shop who did the alignment is a friend of mine whom i trust but maybe i should try another for the hell of it...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have seen that with tires that are not rated to hold the weight of a heavy vehicle. Have someone look at your front tires while you are turning (moving @ 5mph) and see if they are rolling under.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My guess is wrong components. but you would think they would find that right away, you did get it a full 4 wheel alignment. Cause if the back end is not aligned properly the front end has to overcompensate. Or you are driving so fast around corners that you are scuffing of the tires, if you diff is locked in it would give you abnormal wear. Jack up one side and try to turn the tire.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Go get some of these and that will be gone within 1000 miles for good.

Tire Balancing Products

I use to use regular weights but tires would soon be out of balance due to pot holes, spinning them or whatever. I had several cupping on my 1st gen and got these and within about 1000 miles, cupping completely gone. I only use these now on any tires. Worth the $$ in my mind. I still rotate tires around every 7000 miles but last set, I went close to 12000 miles since I was just getting new ones any ways. Still, they didn't cup or anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would have it realigned. the alignment is only as good as the person doing it. It can be the best shop with the newest machines and they could have bone head doing them. just my .02 :$:

·
Registered
838 Posts
have you rotated them? i went over 10,000 miles and mine started to do that :w: whoops

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've went through this and mybest advice is to get an allighnment done by someone withlift experience, or else theyll set to chrysler stock truck specks,which aren't anywhere near what you need. I'd post my spec sheet printout but everything in my house got warm reciently........HTH?!?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts