Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Why are my filters so hard to remove?

2098 17
I've changed my oil several times and my fuel filter twice and I always just install them hand tight. I had a plastic filter end cap socket for my oil filter and it broke last night trying to remove the oil filter, so I bought a metal Lisle one today and it removed it after a lot of struggling.
The last time that I changed the fuel filter I put it on as tight as I could with my hand and this time I had to drive a screwdriver through it again to remove it....I tried using the 3/4" drive but evidently I didn't have the correct arrangement of extensions because I couldn't get it in there.

Any tips? I'm getting frustrated and every oil/fuel filter change is becoming a PITA
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
cause Dodge/Cummins hates the owners of the 6.7's....and wanted them to only go to the dealer to do fuel filter changes :doh:

that's my guess

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
cause Dodge/Cummins hates the owners of the 6.7's....and wanted them to only go to the dealer to do fuel filter changes :doh:

that's my guess
Nope its because it takes a real man to own a 6.7 and we end up putting the filters on too tight to begin with.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
Nope its because it takes a real man to own a 6.7 and we end up putting the filters on too tight to begin with.:hehe::hehe::hehe:
What he said. :w: :w: :w:

· Registered
2,285 Posts
I've changed my oil several times and my fuel filter twice and I always just install them hand tight. I had a plastic filter end cap socket for my oil filter and it broke last night trying to remove the oil filter, so I bought a metal Lisle one today and it removed it after a lot of struggling.
The last time that I changed the fuel filter I put it on as tight as I could with my hand and this time I had to drive a screwdriver through it again to remove it....I tried using the 3/4" drive but evidently I didn't have the correct arrangement of extensions because I couldn't get it in there.

Any tips? I'm getting frustrated and every oil/fuel filter change is becoming a PITA
Do you oil the gaskets on your oil and fuel filters before installing?

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I oiled the seal on the oil filter and fuel filter prior to installation.

· Registered
341 Posts
I always use K&N oil filters because they have a 1" nut welded to the bottom. Makes it real easy to change using a socket wrench with long extension. I believe the part no. is 4003. Costs around $15.

· Registered
75 Posts
Maddram;2559808 The last time that I changed the fuel filter I put it on as tight as I could with my hand and this time I had to drive a screwdriver through it again to remove it....I tried using the 3/4" drive but evidently I didn't have the correct arrangement of extensions because I couldn't get it in there. [/QUOTE said:
I think the fuel filter uses a 1/2" drive to remove it. If you were using a 3/4" drive, that would explain why you couldn't get it in there.

I have one of the strap type filter wrenches. So far, it has removed everything I've tried it on.

Somewhere I read something about the design of filters that they tighten up while in service. Maybe I was just dreaming, but it sure beats getting loose while in service!

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Don't put them on so tight!! You don't need to put them on "as tight as you can", just a little past snug. They won't fall of or loosen up..

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I found a neat oil filter "wrench" at Sears. It has three arms that are geared so they swing around and tighten on the end of the filter as you turn the 3/8 inch square socket receiver. The metal arms grab the filter TIGHT and very easily remove the filter using a ratchet with 3/8 extensions.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
I resorted to this after a similar fuel filter experience. Never again:thumbsup: Its available at dieselpowerproducts.com

bought the same thing a month or so ago. FANTASTIC!! draining the water is a 10 second, clean & easy job. better filtration and cheaper than oem filters too.

· Registered
341 Posts
I just installed the new-type fuel filter in my truck today. I must say, that 1/2" square hole at the bottom made it pretty easy. I found that I could guide the new filter through the space between the wheel well splash guard and the frame quite easily WITHOUT having to remove the splash guard. I then hand tightened it.

The next step was to insert the 1/2" socket wrench extension into the square hole in the filter BEFORE attaching the wrench. (I learned that with the wrench attached it made it almost impossible to hit the hole properly). I actually look forward to my next filter change :party018:.

· Registered
15 Posts
I know from experiance that if the truck is warm the oil filter is easier to remove.

· Registered
9 Posts
I found a neat oil filter "wrench" at Sears. It has three arms that are geared so they swing around and tighten on the end of the filter as you turn the 3/8 inch square socket receiver. The metal arms grab the filter TIGHT and very easily remove the filter using a ratchet with 3/8 extensions.
I use the same one, there's no filter on the farm that doesn't come free with this unit. I love it.

· Registered
105 Posts
On my first oil change, I was prepared for the tough time that I kept hearing about but when I went to screw it off it came off by hand (no tools required) I didn't even have to torque down on it, just screwed right off. Guess I'm lucky that it didn't start leaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.