Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock turbo, Adrenaline(or comparable wire tap), 150HP injectors and supproting mods?

How does it run and what are the temps with box on kill, low, and off?

I don't tow much if at all, and I race the truck on the weekends when I can. I think if I turn the box to MM or even off, and run the 150's on a stock turbo I would be alright. When I wanna play, turn the box on kill and hang on. I'm only in the throttle for 14.5 seconds at the most now..lol

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
Stock turbo, Adrenaline and 150HP sticks ????

not a hope in ^#%@ to keep the EGT's in check

and i bet the farm the stocker won't stay together either

Adrenaline is a hot piece and needs tons of air

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't plan on keeping it that way, just till I get a 62/71/13
I just think it would be a better idea for now then going with the turbo first. The way it is now, at the track, it barely hazes. Isn't it bad to run a diesel with too much air, not enough fuel?

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
I don't plan on keeping it that way, just till I get a 62/71/13
I just think it would be a better idea for now then going with the turbo first. The way it is now, at the track, it barely hazes. Isn't it bad to run a diesel with too much air, not enough fuel?
it's the other way around....too much fuel and not enough air will give you high EGT's and could cause engine damage

all the fuel in the world wont make HP unless you have the air to go with it :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I gotta do something, this truck is too slow..maybe i'll just buy it all at once...lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been running 150's, smarty, and a comp for several years now with the stock turbo. I don't race, and rarely tow. Daily driving with smarty on 8 and comp on 4x5 under moderate acceleration I see 950-1000. If I punch it I see 1300 like yesterday. I have and HX 35 I don't know if you have the hy or hx, but I imagine the hy would get hotter quicker. My boost elbow is set around 35psi and the way I drive it rarely sees that, I would say the hx can live a long life at 35. With the boxes off I haven't ever hit 1200. I will say that this is a very inefficient setup if your going to race it. The black smoke NEVER clears under hard acceleration. I average 18.3 mpg city driving 21 mpg highway, both empty. Are the sticks the only thing your missing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also ran the Adrenaline for awhile, both by itself and stacked with the smarty, and the defueling software on the Adrenaline is awesome, egts never went above 1250 and the truck kept pulling

·
Registered
33 Posts
im runnig 150sticks and adr stacked with JimJessup tune. i can pull my 30ft 5thwheel and keep all things in check but like jayandjoe said i can c 1300 yesarday. its a definate hot setup that requires attention, but the trk empty is a beast

·
Registered
435 Posts
Im running Mach 5 injectors and the Adrenaline with the aggressive tunes. My EGT's are in check as long as the box isnt on. Im working on some headwork studs then a turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I am going to jump on a different bandwagon. I usually try to stay out of these discussions as I sort of have no place but........

Put a charger on it. You will be so much happier with a good turbo than a set of sticks at this point that you won't believe it. If you put sticks in you are playing with danger every single time you stick your foot off in it. The egt's will be harder to control and it will not be near as muh fun to drive.

With the Adrenaline and a good charger the truck will gain probably something like 40-50rwhp based on my dyno experience. You will get it throughout the rpm range, it will be much cooler and much more efficient on the entire engine. Then if you decide you need some sticks you have a LOT less to worry about.

I think everyone should start like this:

1.) gauges or performance electronics with gauges

2.)performance chip (I say this because it really lets the first timer know how these trucks can run, even if it is a non-wire tap box, it is a lot of bang for the buck compared to anything else)

3.)tap the wire if you did not do so in step 2 (yes I know it is not good on a stock charger but, see my explanation in step 2

4.) Exhaust ( sometimes I like to reverse 4 and 5 to eliminate the customer needing to buy another downpipe, so if you can wait and do the exhaust with the turbo it is better)

5.) Turbo and intake (do both at the same time) You can get by on a stock box with a stock charger but, not a stock box on an aftermarket charger

6 Sky is the limit and you are hooked now with a solid platform.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
lets say mine runs kinda hot..... I got 150 jammers stock turbo adrenaline 5" exhaust and AEM air intake.. but it runs good just warm sometimes

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was in at PDR today buying my fuel pressure gauge and parts, and was asking about going with bigger sticks like the stage 2 ddp's 75hp, and basically they told me that was too much and I have a hybrid hx35.( good to 350hp) they said with the box and those sticks I would be running to hot. So I would definitely buy the turbo and sticks at the same time and put them in together. That would be sweet. I wanted to put the stage 2's just for a little more power and better fuel. good luck

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am going to jump on a different bandwagon. I usually try to stay out of these discussions as I sort of have no place but........

Put a charger on it. You will be so much happier with a good turbo than a set of sticks at this point that you won't believe it. If you put sticks in you are playing with danger every single time you stick your foot off in it. The egt's will be harder to control and it will not be near as muh fun to drive.

With the Adrenaline and a good charger the truck will gain probably something like 40-50rwhp based on my dyno experience. You will get it throughout the rpm range, it will be much cooler and much more efficient on the entire engine. Then if you decide you need some sticks you have a LOT less to worry about.
I've thought of doing this before, and I'm still thinking this is the way to go. I notice at the track that my topend is hurting bad. For the 1st 1/8th mile I can pull on almost any car in test and tune, then they come around me like im sitting still. ( Corvette's and GTO's). With a bigger charger it should breath better instead of choking on the top end. Right?

So if I were to put a 62/71/13, I would be in the 400 HP range with the rest of my set-up correct?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I just don't think you will be dissappointed. I know it does not sound as cool as saying you are sticking 150hp sticks in the truck but, at the stage you are at now, I think the truck will perform better with a new turbo than it would with the new sticks.

I have a 62/12 not sure which one exactly from II and I put down almost 420rwhp with a FASS, South Bend and a 4" Exhaust. This is on a 5spd truck and on a dyno jet.

So I would say you are safely in the 400hp range but, more importantly you are not going to be choking the engine and when you do put a set of sticks in the will perform correctly.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, my truck put down 326/708 on a mustang dyno with the comp2 tune (i know, i know). Think it has more than that right now?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts