Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in putting a veggie conversion on my newly purchased 2001 Ram. I'd rather run SVO than go through the process/expense to make biodiesel.
I don't have any problem installing the 2 tank system or doing the pluming for the radiator coolant but I'd just like to know what kind of success you folks have with SVO over biodiesel.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
397 Posts
Subscribing...Kinda curious about this myself especially for a vp44 truck.

Eugene

·
Registered
235 Posts
You will need to check your oil often. Sometimes it can become cotaminated with unburnt svo and loose it lubricity properties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I converted over my 12 valve. I love every minute of not paying ridiculous diesel prices. With a 24 valve you will need to also get a better lift pump like a Fass because veggie oil gets pretty thick below 50 degrees.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I converted over my 12 valve. I love every minute of not paying ridiculous diesel prices. With a 24 valve you will need to also get a better lift pump like a Fass because veggie oil gets pretty thick below 50 degrees.
If you run a tank heater like most kits have it doesnt matter if its -20 outside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you run a tank heater like most kits have it doesnt matter if its -20 outside.
This is true. I run Straight veggie in my Diesel rabbit. on cold days you will have to start it on diesel, then wait till your veggie has de-gelled, then you can run a switch to switch it off and on. then before you get to your destination. switch your veggie oil off and run it till you clear your lines. Gelled up veggie oil inside your engine=sad times.

·
Registered
146 Posts
JD3697 Are you running the stock lift pump on your 97.If so how did you plumb it.On my ford I have the lift pump pulling thru the 6 port then to the filters for veg or bio.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread but has anyone done this on a 3rd gen? Likes dislikes, best kit to buy and how much??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bump bump!! is anyone up now???

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bump Bump!!! There isn't anyone that would like to give there .02 cent on this topic?? Someone has to have some type of info on it??

·
Registered
381 Posts
My concern is the WVO market,, though if the oil bubble pops.. who knows

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Bump Bump!!! There isn't anyone that would like to give there .02 cent on this topic?? Someone has to have some type of info on it??
Go to this site and read all about it. If you like what you see give them a call;

Welcome to Golden Fuel Systems! - HOME

I don't have a system yet but this is the one I would use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have all of my filters/heaters behind the switching valve, so when the truck gets warm, the v.o. is warm and ready to burn

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh yeah The stock mechanical pump has plenty of grunt to pump V.O. You guys with 12 too many valves have the bad electric pump and that is when you need a fass

·
Registered
185 Posts
I run WVO on 3rd gen but had it on a VP44 also...

I have posted my pics on here of the setup on my 2004.5 truck. It is essentially the same as what I did on my 00. I would recommend against the VP44 as it has a tough enough time dealing with diesel fuel and surviving let alone vegetable oil, but it can be done and it will work, I just can't tell you for how long. Sometimes people get a good VP44 that lasts forever, others fail quickly. Anyhow, the most important thing is to monitor the fuel pressure, it must NOT ever go below 5 psi, and I would run a return to the vegetable oil tank, not looped so that any air in the lines will get let out in the tank.
I would recommend using a FASS vegetable oil HPFP or get a mechanical FUEL BOSS pump or the like. They are super expensive, but in the long run, it is SO worth it especially on that truck.
If you need any help let me know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have more pics I could send you if needed via email I believe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts