Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading posts about cracked dashes. Knock on wood, mine still looks great but then again, I park my truck in the garage and I seek any and all shade to park under when I'm out and about. I live where triple digit summer heat is common for a few months out of the year too. Sun will destroy ANY vehicle, just some faster than others. So in trying to stop this dash from ever cracking, would a dash cover help? Any suggestions as to what is the best method to keeping your dash intact?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It's not just the UV rays but the heat from leaving your windows closed tight in the summer.

Can you stop it? It seems some years were worse than others. So if you have the 2000/2001 (I think it was) you're probably going to have it happen eventually. Will the cover help? I doubt it but they do a good job after it cracks. Mine had a cover on it when I bought it and I couldn't tell for about a year until I decided to clean it one time reall good and found one of the seams.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you mentioned it, I also never leave my windows up tight. The amount of heat generated in there would bake a cake. It always makes me think when I drive by car dealers in the summer and see all those interiors baking away as they sit in the wide open sun.

Reactions: B20vtec

·
Registered
367 Posts
There has been a dash cover on mine since the day it was bought '99. I love it. Looks good and the carpet helps to hold things. I have zero cracks.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Continue to park in the shade like you do, whenever possible...

You can also tint your windows, as well as your windshield. That will help with cab temperatures. Beyond that, leave the windows cracked. You can even rig up a solar powered fan that mounts (when rolled down and back up again) between the window glass and door frame. That will help to circulate air and further keep cab temps down.

If your dash does crack, it's not the end of the world. A replacement can be had for not too much $$: Molded Dash Top Cover 98-02 Dodge Cummins

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been using one of the eBay carpet ones for 3 years now. I keep it held in place with a half a roll of double sided carpet tape. It's done a good job of hiding the cracks and keeping the damage from getting worse. I don't have pics right now, but it does fit and look good.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. If anyone does have pictures, that would be great since it would give me an idea of how well they fit and look.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
These are the only photos that I have that show any part of it, and unfortunately I am 600 miles away from my truck so I can't go out and get more right now. I'm sorry that they're not more helpful.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow..... Thats a lot of diamond plate.:shock: Thanks for the pic's. I can kinda see how the dash cover lays.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
FWIW Mercedes recommends Aerospace 303 as a protectant.

I just replaced my dash with one from Autobodyfiller. Results are acceptable - barely & I'd go with the full replacement from LMC. Reasons: LMC dash has good reports from people here that have installed it. It comes in the correct colors without the necessity of painting to match. It comes with A Pillar gaskets. It is less expensive than Autoboby.

I don't know how long either will last. Autobody appears to be of stout material. It was a pita to get to fit.

You don't 1/2 your truck & the few dollars difference between a dash replacement & cap won't make much difference in your world. Get the whole thing when yours cracks.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just an opion I cant stand how the 2nd gen dash mat hangs. So what I did was use one for a 3rd gen cuz it sets on top and does'nt hang down. all the defrost holes are the same and it fits pretty well side to side. it basicaly looks like it was made for the dash you would never know the difference if I never told. No pics sorry:(

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Just an opion I cant stand how the 2nd gen dash mat hangs. So what I did was use one for a 3rd gen cuz it sets on top and does'nt hang down. all the defrost holes are the same and it fits pretty well side to side. it basicaly looks like it was made for the dash you would never know the difference if I never told. No pics sorry:(
If you could get pics, that'd be awesome!

"Wasting time" on my my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I second that..... I'd love to see some pictures. It sounds like the way to go.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I will go out and take a couple pics and see if I can figure out how to attach them.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will go out and take a couple pics and see if I can figure out how to attach them.
You'll need to upload them to an online photo storage provider like Photobucket.com. Then save them and under the picture in your folder there will be a img code. Just right click on that code and it will save it and then click on the "insert image" on this screen (the little square with a mountain in it) and then paste the img code you just copied. Easier than I just made it sound.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
My dash crack so I bought a dash cover to put over it since I didn't feel like paying some $$ for a new dash... Here a pic of what mine looks like

1 - 20 of 36 Posts