Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had some BFG KM3 installed 2 months ago and when I towed my 9k travel trailer the squirm was almost scary. Felt like the tires induced sway.

A month later I swapped those out for a set of nitto ridge grapplers in 295/60r20 mounted on the factory 20’s, the ride improved but still pushes me around in VERY light wind and small cars passing by me. This never happened with the factory trans force tires.

I run 65psi front and 80psi cold when towing, they get up to 90psi per the tpms.

Are the toyo AT2 a better towing tire? What about the Falken AT3w? I need AT tire at the very least because of the terrain I travel.

My hitch is a blue ox sway pro, 12% tongue weight and my truck is a 2018 CCSB 4x4. It’s properly aligned, has a 1” spacer as a leveling kit and I added firestone “red label” airbags that I run 12psi in when I tow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
32k on odometer.

·
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance
251 Posts
I don’t tow daily but when I tow it’s usually 200-800 miles with 8-14k and I have had no issues with my AT2s. I run 65 front and rear when towing. 50 in rear when empty. Biggest thing is making sure your trailer is level and weights distributed as best you can

·
Registered
702 Posts
What size were the KM3? This is random but just curious if you had any rub at full lock with the 295/60/20 Ridge Grapplers you had, or the KM3 for that matter

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had 295/60r20 ridge grapps at 65 psi all around and they did great pulling my camper @ 10k and a 1k cart in the bed. Very stable and now sway from pa to nc and back. Thats back roads and 75mph down the highways.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your weight distribution hitch is set up correctly you shouldn't need air bags. It sounds to me like there is not enough tongue weight which will make the trailer unstable. Have you put the fully loaded rig on a CAT scale to verify the weight distribution? That's where I would start. Lots cheaper than changing tires.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I'm running 35x12.5 R17 Ridge Grapplers and tow a 12k dump trailer without a weight distribution hitch and have never felt any swaying issues. Hell, most of the time I don't even bother airing up the rear tires from where I run them when empty at 45psi. Now, if I'm hauling a substantial distance I'll air them up to 65-70 psi. I think the major key is how the weight is distributed and a dump trailer is different animal than a TT too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My hitch is a blue ox sway pro...
That's an ironic name for a hitch. I would look into an anti sway setup, such as the Reese Dual Cam instead.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just had some BFG KM3 installed 2 months ago and when I towed my 9k travel trailer the squirm was almost scary. Felt like the tires induced sway.

A month later I swapped those out for a set of nitto ridge grapplers in 295/60r20 mounted on the factory 20’s, the ride improved but still pushes me around in VERY light wind and small cars passing by me. This never happened with the factory trans force tires.

I run 65psi front and 80psi cold when towing, they get up to 90psi per the tpms.

Are the toyo AT2 a better towing tire? What about the Falken AT3w? I need AT tire at the very least because of the terrain I travel.

My hitch is a blue ox sway pro, 12% tongue weight and my truck is a 2018 CCSB 4x4. It’s properly aligned, has a 1” spacer as a leveling kit and I added firestone “red label” airbags that I run 12psi in when I tow.

I towed our trailer (8k) with 1500lb tongue and no sway at all on ridge grapplers (295/65r20). I also have airmaxx air bags under my carli backcountry 2.0 suspension (3" lift). My bags are set to 65psi when towing and I am not running an anti-sway setup at all.

1) What pressure are you running in the rear tires?
2) Have you weighed your tongue? Like, actually weigh it?
3) What's in the bed? Empty? Full?
4) When loaded, is your trailer level? front lower than rear, rear lower than front?
5) Have you ever weighed your entire rig? What's the front v. rear weights?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run this hitch as well.

Did you install/setup the hitch yourself or did the dealer? I made the mistake of letting the dealer I bought my trailer from install my hitch; I had to fix it within 100 miles of towing. The ball was too high, the mounts were installed too close towards the tow ball (the trailer mounts); the whole thing was a soup sandwich.

BlueOx has a PDF on their website on how to properly install and configure the hitch. It's super easy, provided you are on level ground. Once I set mine up per the manual, it was great.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have ridge grapplers and tow a 20k 5th wheel toy hauler often and they do awesome! I have no complaints.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run 296/65/20 ridge grapplers. Tow my 325 outback with no problems. Weighs in somewhere around 10k. When we go on riding trips I also have my 900lbs quad in the bed. Haven’t officially weighed the rear axle weight with this setup, but I know it’s heavy on that axle. That’s part of the reason I went with these tires, they have a 4000lbs weight rating per tire.
I love how the tires ride and handle. Just don’t like the price and they don’t seem to be wearing very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'll be installing the atw3 in that size coming up so I'll let you know how they do

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
The 20's with their short sidewalls should tow well.
Throw a 37" on the same rim and not so much.
The little white circle should be lined up with the valve stem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My Falken tires just got dropped off. They look good and they have a really grippy bead which I'm hoping resolves my tire spinning on the rim issue. Nitto and cooper have be bad. I'll put the on tomo and let you know

Attachments

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
702 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing them on the truck installed! Please give us your impressions once they are on - I am leaning more and more towards keeping stock size so I don't deal with gearing or rubbing on these stock wheels - even with a level the 285/60/20's look plenty big, especially once you go to a more aggressive sidewall

·
Registered
656 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the tires are the issue. I tow a 9500# TT and use a Blue Ox as well. Truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 CC LB, all stock with the OEM Stones. 275/70/18
I hate my Stones. I towed a previous 5er with a 12 Ram 2500 CTD with BFG KO2 and it was rock solid. Towed the same 5er with the 2018 Ram and it was not near as solid. Still very doable but just didn't feel as tight when towing.
I'm wondering if it's the coils that make the difference in stability. I put new Bilstiens on and have bags from towing the 5er. I run them at 10 psi.
My TW is also heavy at 1350 lbs. The front of the truck is setup correctly as well. I was thinking I can't wait for the Stones to wear out so I could go back to KO2's

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the tires are the issue. I tow a 9500# TT and use a Blue Ox as well. Truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 CC LB, all stock with the OEM Stones. 275/70/18
I hate my Stones. I towed a previous 5er with a 12 Ram 2500 CTD with BFG KO2 and it was rock solid. Towed the same 5er with the 2018 Ram and it was not near as solid. Still very doable but just didn't feel as tight when towing.
I'm wondering if it's the coils that make the difference in stability. I put new Bilstiens on and have bags from towing the 5er. I run them at 10 psi.
My TW is also heavy at 1350 lbs. The front of the truck is setup correctly as well. I was thinking I can't wait for the Stones to wear out so I could go back to KO2's

Although those Transforce wore out in 28K , they were great towing. See no difference in the Toyo AT2's. I used to run the Ko's on my Superduty. They towed equally as well, Just was never too crazy how they picked up the rocks. More so then other AT's I have run .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Towing with the current tires (Nitto Ridge Grapplers), I haven't seen any issues of wheel spin/slip. While I don't like the tires overall, their towing performance has nothing to do with my dislike of them.

Had Cooper Discoverer AT2's on the last truck, they did great. Road performance was better than the Nitto's... but the towing was about the same.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts