Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just trying to figure out the typical life span on a HE351VGT turbocharger? Could you guys post the most miles on that you got out a HE351VGT turbocharger (stock 6.7L turbocharger) before it fails. Could you also post if you allow the turbocharger to cool down before shutting off the truck? and typical Max egt's that the turbo is operated at?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
597 Posts
:agree2:

And for the record, I have 156,000 trouble free, bone stock...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Took my 07 C&C to 183k or so on stock turbo, never needed cleaning.

Edit: everything on that truck was stock

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I got 6,000 on mine before it needed replacement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stock truck, work truck turbo lasted 140,000 then tru code 2563 Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor. Truck would hesitate upon acceleration. Also had the 2262 dirty turbo code. Swapped the turbo for one from Undrpsi here on the forum. Truck has 163000 as of today crossing my fingers..

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You probably didn't need a new turbo just the sensor. It throws a no boost code because it isn't at the right position due to the sensor being bad

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well I don't have the most, but I bet I had the least.. Stocker didn't even make it to the first oil change. Clogged up at 4k miles...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I should ammend my first post, I had forgot that at around 60K my EB started acting up as well as the turbo under accelleration, so I took it into the dealer and that was right when the recall had came out (J35?) I think for the turbo cleaning port to be enlarged and a new flash, so all fixed under warranty/recall, I unplugged my EGR at that point, and trouble free ever since. Funny thing while they were working on my truck for this, I was reading through the maintenace section in the manual and I see, 'clean turbo-every 60K', lol. That's messed up to have a regular interval for turbo cleaning, IMO...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I should ammend my first post, I had forgot that at around 60K my EB started acting up as well as the turbo under accelleration, so I took it into the dealer and that was right when the recall had came out (J35?) I think for the turbo cleaning port to be enlarged and a new flash, so all fixed under warranty/recall, I unplugged my EGR at that point, and trouble free ever since. Funny thing while they were working on my truck for this, I was reading through the maintenace section in the manual and I see, 'clean turbo-every 60K', lol. That's messed up to have a regular interval for turbo cleaning, IMO...
Mine doesn't say that. Were you looking at one for the newer models like 2010 and up?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well I don't have the most, but I bet I had the least.. Stocker didn't even make it to the first oil change. Clogged up at 4k miles...
Man you beat me!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guy let the truck cool down below 400 deg's before shut-off. What kinda of max egt's you guys pulling? Been wondering how good the electronic stuff on the turbo is.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most of the problems are with the 07.5 crowd with the bad o2 sensor batch.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a 07.5 and still have the original turbo w/32k on it. Did the deletes at 7k, that's when the 2262 code showed up. Went to my local dealer, he said HUH? What kind of ingine is dis? Turned around, went home and ordered the deletes. Haven't looked back since. There still isn't a dealer near me that knows anything about these trucks. The trouble was and is the EGR. Our turbos went because we were just discovering the problems.

·
Unreconstructed
6,117 Posts
Most of the problems are with the 07.5 crowd with the bad o2 sensor batch.
Shoot me more info on this bad O2 sensor thing.....Link to a thread, or something.

Kinda curious. Never heard anything about it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Shoot me more info on this bad O2 sensor thing.....Link to a thread, or something.

Kinda curious. Never heard anything about it.

Yes, I'd like to know too. 3 years of tinkering, I might have missed that one.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
08 with 66K on it.

Deleted at about 45-50k.

Cleaned the turbo 2 times 15K and 30K like clock work because it would start turning the exhaust brake on when I would step on the accelerator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts