Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on the Carli and Lorenz rear leaf springs. Both seem to be good but I would like to hear some owner input. Carli claims they have a longer leaf and move the axle back so a 37 inch tire fits perfectly and rides great. Is this true or just marketing? I also saw mention of a Thuren leaf but no sign of it on his site.

Whats the advantage of Carli, Thuren or Lorenze vs going to Deaver? I called Deaver and they said they can make a rear leaf for me. I know Deaver already makes the others I mentioned so I'm not sure whats different.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I am pretty sure Carli & KORE have the market for Deavers for Dodges'. Deaver used to refer people to the two companies. Maybe things changed. Carli & KORE uses Deavers for full leafs. Lorenz uses National or Alcan. Thuren I don't know. Paul (ptgarcia) can chime in where Don has his built.

All have different spring rates and towing capabilities. Carli's center pin is located so you can run 37" on stock wheels w/o rubbing when your suspension cycles. KORE (which I have) need either trimming in the front of the rear fender or fiberglass. Don runs 37" w/ his springs w/o any rubbing (unless he trims his rear fenders?) His shackles set back farther than the rest. So that helps w/ ride quality and I imagine fiting 37" w/ flexing/articulation and suspension travel.

Thing w/ these different full leaf set ups. If you have a good race shock. You can valve the shock for that particular leaf pack. For on/off road ride quality.

Riding in a truck w/ Carli & KORE Full Leafs. KORE has a higher spring rate than Carli. Just meaning I will/have to get my rear KING Shocks valved for that rate. No biggie, just notice my rear end off the ground at higher speeds instead of hugging the ground. Still have control of my truck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have Don's leafs and love 'em. He set the pin back like Carli does to clear 37's. My valving is pretty aggresive, but you could EASILY get these things to ride like a cadillac if you wished to sacrifice some offroad capability.

I took my dad out for a ride and hit a well known dip/drainage culvert at HIGH SPEED, he curled his knees up to his chest and grabbed the "oh-crap" handle, yelled at me to slow the hell down!!!!!! .... He laughed when we just floated through it....

Payload capacity isnt spectacular, but I dont haul much. And when I do, thats what Timbrens are for.

And I rode in Mike's truck (of Carli) back from our Glamis trip while he was towing a 25' Airstream with absolutely no sag, no airbags, no helpers... just Carli rear leafs and the trailers sway bar....

Don Thuren is the MAN!!!!!

Reactions: Marq92
1 - 3 of 3 Posts