Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well did it run better or did it kill your 60' due to overfueling to early? Still green in the truck only been to the track once and the convertor was so loose the motor never would load up. I installed the 2095 plug and ground another plate for this comming weekend and took the foot out of the afc. I will take the parts with me in case its a flop i can always replace it, but curious how it will respond. It sounds better in the shop anyways and is super responsive, i put 21* in her as well. I will have the W/M system ready to help with high temps. and the juice on a WCT switch to help try to clean up the extra fuel. I will try a tiny jet first like a .32 and get larger depending on smoke and power. Last time out with the terrable tranny and convertor it stopped smoking hard around the 60-80' and then ran a 3-5" flame out of the stack the rest of the pass? Is this that the stack length is to short or a timming issue, or was it lean? I did not have a good idea of fuel pressure then due to the liquid filled guage needed the top cut off to vent, once i fiqured it out it seems to read well. But before i fiqured this out i replaced the lift pump for another brand new one and added a Holley blue inline, and also streched the spring in the OF valve to like 16mm from 13mm, this now gives me 40psi at idle and like 55 at a steady higher rpm 3k or so. Switching from a glide to a TH350 3 speed this weekend to allow me to run a larger, tighter convertor. Thanks Ryan:thumbsup

·
Registered
502 Posts
dvs and huge charger and youll be all excited. depending on setup dvs are like putting another set of injectors in. also the charger will turn all the smoke into:peelout and what tranny are you currently running? not sure why youd put a th350 in. doubtful itll hold a pumped 12v. whats your ET?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Ryan! This is Matt form Wills Point. Anyways I race with a gutted afc, it does better with this setup with the current modds. You need to roll into the throttle aspecially when launcing to get the ideal fuel ratio. I try to avoid launcing hard since I have a single disk clutch. I also like the way it tows and just the way it runs around town with it gutted (gives me something fun to play with and im use to it). It is also easy to detune it to make your truck idiot proof by putting the lever back in to make it run like stock. I also noticed with it gutted the truck runs smoother and is way more responsive. I have always got good mileage also with it gutted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also shooting fire out my exhaust 3-5' doesnt happen to me... I could just picture the look on the guys face im racing as I pass him.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
you will roast that th350 in no time!

If your stuck on a gm trans i would have dont the th400/4l80. it will last a little longer but will eventually give up the ghost.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh yeah I frogot to mention I have 3 th400 for sale. Let me know if you want one when you help me with my timing... If anyone else in Dallas/Tyler area wants one let me know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a glide in it but it would only allow me a 11" convertor, and know one could build one that would hold the torq. and that would stall low enough, i tryed 3 diff. peoples. The 350 bolts right back in its place with no other changes and is going to allow me to do some testing for Art Carrs 13" unit. If the convertor seems to work but the tranny dont then ya i suppose i'll run a str8 planet 400, but they rob lots of power. I have 181's in for this weekend in place of my full cuts, and ya i have a big single charger/ HTT 66/71/13ss, and running a set of edm 435's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
never been to the track with my truck, but i know how it responds. The gutted afc is really nice espically for a stick, becasue when you loose all your boost on a shift, the afc isn't limiting the fuel at the beginning of the next gear when you get back into it, so it makes you a bit faster though the gears.
With the afc gutted, if i bog it down too much on the launch then having the afc gutted definatly makes it slower. However if launch keeping it around 2000rpms though the engagement, the the turbo is already spooled by the time the clutch is out and im out of the hole like a rocket.
I would imagine that having a gutted afc in a auto would actually make it slower unless you were REALLY good at foot regulating, or unless you had a pretty dang high stall. 2ndly if your doing a boosted launch, then the afc doesn't even matter anyways because it only has effect below 6 or 8 lbs of boost. Also it won't help with the shifts in a auto because it doesn't lose boost on the shifts so it has no effect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, but i did decide today to reinstall it with the foot now modifyed or the tip ground off. I'll try it like this and get some base line, then i can remove the foot for a couple passes and see which works better for my combo. If all goes well with the tranny/convertor and temps. i may also try the nasty full cuts again. Also pm sent your way. Ryan

·
Registered
576 Posts
hey ive heard a bit about the modified afc arm... what is this, and why is it beneficial??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts