Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've had your engine or transmission warranty voided because of a tuner please reply, with details of your situation.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
If you've had your engine or transmission warranty voided because of a tuner please reply, with details of your situation.
Wondering how far you can push the envelope of warranty fraud when you play too hard?

(I'm not playing the "holier than thou" card either. My 2010 Jeep seriously needs a tuner on it for the pizz poor performance it has. And when my wife's libby was under warranty I didn't install anything on it either. Just have to be ready to pay if you want to play.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that there wasnt anyone, seems most dealers are willing to overlook these.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine flat out said we found the tuner, but they didnt care it wasnt a serious thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They can't legally void your warranty because you installed a tuner they have to prove that the tuner you added broke somthing

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
They can't legally void your warranty because you installed a tuner they have to prove that the tuner you added broke somthing

But by installing a tuner you are changing every parameter that Dodge/Cummins has put on the vehicle. I can see Engine/Powertrain gone. Maybe not the 3/36 but the engine warranty is shot.

Also there are several dealers who will "overlook" it. I know of one a couple of hours from me who says if it's stock when he sees it thats all he cares about. My problem is if I am 12 hours from home and have an issue I am done.

I am still under warranty for another year. I will delete then. I think if you are looking at adding a tuner consider your engine/powertrain gone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My point is if you add a tuner and your engine blows three months later because your factory intake system had a leak and sucked in dirt they still have to fix the engine. Now say you melted a piston our pushed out the headgasket because you had to much boost from the tune then they can void the warranty work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk t from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ill have to look it up but it is illegal for them to void warranty work unless they can prove the damage was done do to the aftermarket parts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know what you are saying. I am not disputing you at all.

I wish they wouldn't void stuff when they KNOW we are only helping the engines. I know a few push them over the limits and destroy them. If I could buy a tuner that would only turn off the CEL associated with emissions deletes I would have it. But there are none that I am aware of that have alot of following so I am just waiting till the warranty clock runs out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I know what you are saying. I am not disputing you at all.

I wish they wouldn't void stuff when they KNOW we are only helping the engines. I know a few push them over the limits and destroy them. If I could buy a tuner that would only turn off the CEL associated with emissions deletes I would have it. But there are none that I am aware of that have alot of following so I am just waiting till the warranty clock runs out.
You CAN!! Buy a H&S or Smarty product and run with dpf removed but stock power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You CAN!! Buy a H&S or Smarty product and run with dpf removed but stock power.
Sorry Ive been on the road all day so not thinking straight. I meant that was dealer/Dodge/Cummins friendly that wouldn't void anything if I put it back to stock. To be honest I'd delete the damn thing but the wife has already nixed that. :buttkick:

Grow some balls I know.:hehe:

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
My dealer installs tuners and deletes. I blew 2 injectors over a year ago from my truck being out -40C weather with bad rig fuel and my truck went in as is and the $3900 bill was 100% covered under warranty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My dealer installs tuners and deletes. I blew 2 injectors over a year ago from my truck being out -40C weather with bad rig fuel and my truck went in as is and the $3900 bill was 100% covered under warranty. :thumbsup:
where is this dealer? i need to give them my business from now on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well sort of off topic but principal being the same. I have a 6 inch lift with 37 and te dealer told me straight up my warranty was void on stuff like diffs steering bjoints etc as the lift added extra stress to the parts and therefore warranty void. Fair enough I understand all that But at the time they had a new 2010 on the lot that was lifted with 37's brand new and I pointed at that truck and said to the salesman if I bought that truck do I get a warranty and what's thedifference here ( I was being a bit of a sh!t at this point I really didn't care) and he said since they did the lift it's covered lol. What a bunch of crap. I just left it Alone at that point.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
where is this dealer? i need to give them my business from now on.
Chinook Chysler in Taber Alberta Canada. I know a few guys who hot the Mini Maxxs and deletes done there. They even sell new trucks on the lot fully deleted. They could have deined my injectors since my rails cap. I told him it was capped, he said cool. Lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
You don't have "the EPA" up there to deal with do you???? Lucky bastages!!!:blues:

·
Air Force Vet
2,425 Posts
I know that some dealers will sell and install tuners and will still warranty the truck. However, I don't think they can legally modify the emissions equipment (aka: delete).

·
Registered
107 Posts
My local dealer hozed me, tried making me buy a turbo because they claimed mine was dusted due to the cold air intake i put on in take was on about a month and never off road, i called bs, had a guy go in their shop and tow my truck out of the mechanics bay, upset the service manager and he said if i take that truck off the lot he will VOID the warrenty, he could only restrict it. so after that when i took to another dealer that was good, they had to get repairs approved by division manager, which it was approved.:confused013:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts