Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
...at this level it appears there is a small savings of about 1.5 to 2 cents per mile. (I dont have hand calculated mialage numbers for these driving conditions on Diesel only?)
For comparison sake, my cost per mile, diesel/Lucas is about $0.26. That's the truck in my sig, driving very conservatively with the latest hand-calculated (and adjusted for slightly oversized tires) figures. I'm probably running a little bit more cheaply than that, but I don't have any more recent numbers (the last tank had a low-pressure fuel pump change about 75 miles into it, so I lost some fuel to that, throwing my numbers off a bit). Mileage figured @ 17.9 mpg.

Using the numbers you've got above, you're running about $0.28/mile with propane.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My average mialage when I do about 50% highway and 50% city is in the mid 17's too, but I have been avoiding some of my unnecessary longer trips (due to the fuel cost), so out of the 520 Miles I drove maybe about 100 miles of that was highway, the rest was short trips to work and the store where the truck dosen't even fully warm up, and I'm lucky to get past 40 MPH to get into overdrive, and the torque converter to lock up. I think under these conditions with diesel only I might have gotten 15-16 MPG?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is the installation instructions:

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pro-data/frm27148_PN4870.pdf

The orffice is at the regulator outlet, then it goes through a good sized tube (1/2" or 5/8"?) to a discharge fitting in the intake before the turbo.

Been running at 30% setting and mialage dropped a bit, and my propane place raised their prices to $2.71/gallon so I'm not seeing much if any fuel cost savings with the propane at that setting.

I might hook up the computer and tune the propane on-the-fly while having someone drive at highway speed, the increase the propane amount until the exhaust drone smooths out. I know at 50% setting the propane really reduces the exhaust drone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
any more updates 451?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.