Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Who else is using Propane?

11158 64
I've been looking into using propane on my dually to gain some MPG since fuel is killing everone, I've searched the forum and only found a few people that have tries these systems. I'm not looking to add big power like N20!

Anyone else have some experiance?
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the links George, I still think there is a better way of injecting propane into the intake track than having propane pulled threw turbo, IC and all the boost pipes.

Lets say I mounted a Dry N20 fogger with no Jet! It's already 1 3/4 inside of the intake manifold or a boost pipe after the IC, the propane would be injected out of the hole in the fogger with 35 psi of boost at it's back pushing it into the engine.

This hole diesel thing is evolving, there is alot to learn and alot will change. we are still playing with piggyback's and downloaders, rom tunes and chips, this stuff is so 1995 IMO :popcorn:

· Registered
576 Posts
Sorry if I came across as a jerk Tec. It was a bad day I had going and now I look bad and it looks a little rough of me. I didn't mean for it to be that way.

FWIW, I thought the same thing as you the first time I looked into it, but then got to thinking and researching about it and found out it's the only way to make it work. I had thought that if you ran a tiny orfice you could increase the pressure without having excessive volume, but more research concluded that would not work without some kind of high pressure pump. Trust me, I've looked at this, the physics involved and if you intend to run propane there really isn't another way to make it work without a lot of complex parts involved.

Then again, feel free to be the one to design, test and market a new system. I'll be watching for the results.

George

· Registered
198 Posts
With the DIY style setup running a pre turbo fogging setup at approx 1-2 psi is there a need for a regulator/converter to make sure you dont have liquid propane comming out the end of the hose? Does anyone know where to get a mounting bracket for a 20LB BBq tank?

· Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry if I came across as a jerk Tec. It was a bad day I had going and now I look bad and it looks a little rough of me. I didn't mean for it to be that way.

FWIW, I thought the same thing as you the first time I looked into it, but then got to thinking and researching about it and found out it's the only way to make it work. I had thought that if you ran a tiny orfice you could increase the pressure without having excessive volume, but more research concluded that would not work without some kind of high pressure pump. Trust me, I've looked at this, the physics involved and if you intend to run propane there really isn't another way to make it work without a lot of complex parts involved.

Then again, feel free to be the one to design, test and market a new system. I'll be watching for the results.

George
:thumbsup

I hear ya George, No problem bro!

I haven't had a chance to do anything yet, but soon I'm going to test out some different setup's.

· Registered
166 Posts
With the DIY style setup running a pre turbo fogging setup at approx 1-2 psi is there a need for a regulator/converter to make sure you dont have liquid propane comming out the end of the hose? Does anyone know where to get a mounting bracket for a 20LB BBq tank?

I would def. say yes to the regulator. That will keep it at a nice light fog.

· Registered
198 Posts
Oh I know a regulator of some kind is needed but is a regulator/converter needed or can a simple gas regulator just be used?

· Registered
50 Posts
Tec it just don't work that way, 35 psi is also pushing on the propane, so forget about "sucking" anything from your pressured intake. You need a pressure higher than your boost pressure, then what about regulation, unless you rig some trick regulator that compensates for intake pressure....

It is just so much simpler to put it to the suction side.

Check this out, it may help you out
Propane Facts & Comparison Charts

Don`t sweat it, your turbo won`t light off the propane.....it just ain`t hot enough.

· Registered
38 Posts
i've now ran over 60 hours, and probably 3000 miles give or take on the system i described before, and after some tests, i have the pressure set at 10 psi, i put a guage on the end of the hose going from the regulator/valve assembly up to the intake, and at 2100 rpm i was reading 7psi, so i figured that running 9 psi will give me around 2 psi propane at a steady 75mph, i saw at least a 3 mpg gain, my best tank so far was to kansas city and back from my house, keeping it at 65 pretty much the whole time, NO CRUISE, and i got 33 mpg. my computer was reading 38. somethin, but the math was 542 miles and i was sitting at 3/8 of a tank, i put just over 16 gallons in!! before the propane i was getting just under 30 on the same trip. not to mention that unlike all my other oil changes where my oil is the usual nasty black, after over 6k miles since i installed the system, half of which or more i was running the propane, my oil looks as clean as it was when i put it in, it is an almost ridiculously clear amber color just like it was when it came out of the rotella t bottle. i do think that i should put the feed on the negative pressure side of the turbo, but i just think that having propane running that close to the exhaust gasses seems really risky. the 20 pound tank im using still isn't quite empty, i can feel it's gettin pretty light, but i still get 10 psi at the guage, so it's still got some left in it. considering propane is 12 bucks for a 20 pound tank that lasts over 3k miles, and adds 3 mpg, it is defintely worth the money.

· Registered
121 Posts
grab a spare bottle for a grill, then get an adjustable regulator from Ace harware (in the propane grill accesories isle) they have a heater buddy brand one that goes from 0-40psi. Then hook it to a good 0-15psi gauge and adjust the regulator for 1.5psi or thereabouts (experiment) Then run a line to the air filter and be careful :) if you're afraid of it getting left on by an ooops moment add an electric solenoid and a pressure switch so that it will only come on with 2-3psi of boost pressure (or whatever setting you choose)

You'll have to tinker a bit and experiment, but you can get good results just by being resourceful. BTW, a normal grill regulator is 1/2psi and doesn't really put out enough to be worth while.

Any more question, feel free to ask.

A price breakdown is as follows:
Regulator $40
gauge $25
Hoses $15
Bottle $free if you have it around

If you want to add a solenoid for mounting the tank outside the truck (my way was with it sitting in the passenger floorboard while I experimented) then add to the cost

Air solenoid $20
pressure switch $15

So there you have it, a good setup for less than the cost of a full tank of fuel that should net you around 2-3 mpg depending on your setup of course.

George
George only one point on your setup as described the BBQ tank is illeagal for a storage vessal for "motor fuel" per the DOT if its on a auto for use as fuel propane must be in an approved dot tank. In case of accident you can be sure your insurance company will deny all coverage under the terms of fraud. If it was me I'd pony up the extra $ for a good dot tank which will also last a lot longer. Jm2cents.

· Premium Member
2,390 Posts
What kind of regulator do yall reccomend using?Im gonna try this and i have a tank off a forklift,what do u guys think? thanks Zack

· Registered
930 Posts
spooled05, you want to watch what you are doing with a bottle from a forklift as it has a pipe off the valve that draws liquid propane. I just Googled "Propane Diesel Injection" and read a bit very interesting. I worked on engines and had LPG, Dual fuel systems, they worked real good if you got the gas real cheap. the things I really remember is if the gas air mix got above 6% you could get preignition. and that is a bad thing, they used it as power booster, the price of fuel at that time was not an issue. Play safe!

· Registered
376 Posts
Tap the intake horn or buy one like ATS that is already tapped.

· Registered
433 Posts
Explain to me how PRESSURE is going to SUCK anything. You obviously don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, which is OK, just don't go talking to people like they are stupid based off your gross ignorance.

If you would either do a little reading up on basic physics or just research other peoples hard work of experimenting then you might be able to understand. Otherwise I really couldn't care less what you think about it. If it's not for you then fine. You obviously do not have enough understanding of how these engines work in order to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do. Of course that's just my opinion.

BTW, Nitrous is injected into the engine at 600psi and higher so it easily overcomes the intake presures.

George
there is such a thing as negative pressure which would cause the sucking that we all love

· Registered
109 Posts
You just need a venturi in a pressure environment. Race cars use them in the exhaust to pull case pressure into it. Any 1/8 or 1/16 tube will work with a slant cut on aft side of flow. Planes use them also to pull vacuum on piss tubes. As long as there is a flow of air going across the tube you are good. As gstanfield stated intoducing a low pressure into a static higher pressure environment they will just try to equal but this is far from inert environment. Im building a hydro gen now. Just got my nickel rods. I will post pics of build.

· Registered
109 Posts
Going with 1/4 inch now 1/8 is too small from test I did

· Registered
100 Posts
Is this propane setup going to be safe for heavy towing? I pull a 5 horse gooseneck and I'm looking for something to gain mileage and/or decrease fuel costs. I filled up this morning and it was $4.04 for low sulphur but there is only 5 stations in the state that sell the low sulphur, the ulsd is $4.17.OUCH!!!

· Vendor
12,850 Posts

· Registered
3,332 Posts
Man, what a way to ruin a great thread. Please delete that crap a couple posts up.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.