Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd auto IFS
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the tappet cover gasket replaced 2 weeks ago. Drive it home about an hour or so of driving. Figured the smoke would go away. I've always had somewhat of a whitish blueish greyish on startup for like a minute or two. Not a big deal. But after the shop replaced this gasket and I assume remove the p7100 pump, I've got this color tint at any speed especially when in park and revving up the engine. Usually it's just black smoke, but now it's both black and whitish blueish greyish. Black first, then that different color whitish. Smells like fuel, burns the heck outta my eyes. Seems to start up fine and shut down like before. I know when I rev it, I get the popping and all that. I assume that's defuel. I tried to add the video. If I can't figure it out here on the forum, I'll just have to take it back to the shop. I'd like to get some ideas before running back in there accusing them of something that may just be coincidentally something else broke down.
94 Dodge ram 12valve. Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File 20220619_105718.mp4

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Had the tappet cover gasket replaced 2 weeks ago. Drive it home about an hour or so of driving. Figured the smoke would go away. I've always had somewhat of a whitish blueish greyish on startup for like a minute or two. Not a big deal. But after the shop replaced this gasket and I assume remove the p7100 pump, I've got this color tint at any speed especially when in park and revving up the engine. Usually it's just black smoke, but now it's both black and whitish blueish greyish. Black first, then that different color whitish. Smells like fuel, burns the heck outta my eyes. Seems to start up fine and shut down like before. I know when I rev it, I get the popping and all that. I assume that's defuel. I tried to add the video. If I can't figure it out here on the forum, I'll just have to take it back to the shop. I'd like to get some ideas before running back in there accusing them of something that may just be coincidentally something else broke down.
94 Dodge ram 12valve. Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File 20220619_105718.mp4

Wondering if timing is off. Besides the smoke did you notice anything different as far as running after you removed the injection pump and put it back on? Also did you get the manual transmission swap done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Was the engine at operating temp when you recorded that video?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes and no. At first it wasn't. U don't see much haze until the throttle is pressed. But even then u hit the light just right then u can barely see it. But during that video it was at operating temp

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering if timing is off. Besides the smoke did you notice anything different as far as running after you removed the injection pump and put it back on? Also did you get the manual transmission swap done.
I did not swap it. I actually didn't do the work. I had someone at a shop do it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes and no. At first it wasn't. U don't see much haze until the throttle is pressed. But even then u hit the light just right then u can barely see it. But during that video it was at operating temp

I don’t know what it is. My truck with aftermarket injectors does kinda the same thing when you punch the throttle like that. I never had a smoke issue at idle unless it’s cold out.

Did you Install the nv4500?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oh ok so the nv4500 is installed. How do you like the nv4500 vs the 47rh.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So update. There closed till Monday. Truck won't fire this morning. Turns over great. Guess when I get home hopefully I can get it running. And pray I make it to the shop that did the work. They unfortunately won't cover a tow bill. 1000$ down the drain to replace that tappet cover. Got a paper weight at this point

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know where all the connection points are where it could possibly suck air. I think that's what may be going on.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Based on others reports, the air leaks are on the suction side. Since they just did the tappet cover, there’s a good chance it’s near the lift pump or screen/heater. From the heater to the lift pump there is a formed rubber fuel hose. With age, and/or abuse, it can crack and leak. It also can have a loose clamp.

There is also a steel line from the lift pump to up behind the fuel filter and it has banjo fittings. They could have been left loose or came loose.

Otherwise check the rubber line from tank and its exit on top of the tank

Reactions: ddurr92

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on others reports, the air leaks are on the suction side. Since they just did the tappet cover, there’s a good chance it’s near the lift pump or screen/heater. From the heater to the lift pump there is a formed rubber fuel hose. With age, and/or abuse, it can crack and leak. It also can have a loose clamp.

There is also a steel line from the lift pump to up behind the fuel filter and it has banjo fittings. They could have been left loose or came loose.

Otherwise check the rubber line from tank and its exit on top of the tank
The other day there was a very small leak at the banjo bolt on driver's side. I can't recall what that line is called. It's was damp but not dripping. I checked it numerous times and each time I wipe it, it just gets wet again. But for a leak to be that small, I wouldn't think it would keep the truck from starting.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I believe they have rubber coated washers, available from Cummins. They can fail. They are not “torque it tight” fittings. If it’s dripping, it can be a source for air, especially on the suction side.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Does anyone know where all the connection points are where it could possibly suck air. I think that's what may be going on.
So in the 5years you have been a member you haven't read

which contains

or even heard about the Joe G writeup?

As an FYI, if a banjo bolt is leaking under pressure it is not a suction side leak. There are no banjo bolts on the suction side.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So in the 5years you have been a member you haven't read

which contains

or even heard about the Joe G writeup?

As an FYI, if a banjo bolt is leaking under pressure it is not a suction side leak. There are no banjo bolts on the suction side.
I have. And I read it all actually the other day. Thnx tho. Good looking out.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts