Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

White Smoke???

3120 Views 25 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  BO's_06_Cummins
I have an 06 3500 if i leave it sitting overnite and then start it up it will smoke white for a few seconds...is this normal or is something going wrong??? It doesnt do it unless it sits for a long period of time any help is appreciated. The truck only has 34,000 on it.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Do you run it hard?
If so there is a chance you put a crack in the head gasket and a little bit of antifreeze is getting in and that is why it is burning white. That explains why it only does it after sitting for a while

· Registered
930 Posts
The first thing I would do is to cheak the valve guide seals, If it has warranty on it take it down and park it in the dealership yard and go down latter and show then. If you want to do it your self, you need an air compressor a pressure regulator and adaptors, pressurize the intake you can see a bad seal as it will blow air past the guide. same with the exhaust just takes more prep work. You only need about 10 lbs to find a bad seal.

· Premium Member
3,327 Posts
What does your smoke smell like? Raw diesel fuel? Burnt oil?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont run it hard all the time but occasionally i give it to it...I havent had someone start it to see what it smells like it yet...if it was antifreeze wouldnt it leak through all the time

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
white smoke is normal on startup from a cold diesel motor, its just raw or unburnt fuel it happens to alot of diesels

· Registered
1,704 Posts
A little bit of white smoke is normal. Dodge will tell you for up to 1 minute. My truck was doing this and once injectors were replaced smoke was mostly gone. It will every now and again get a little puff of white on cold start but not all the time.

· Registered
896 Posts
i've noticed mine throwing a little white smoke at startup on occasion...but thats usually right after she has a hard time starting...just turns over when i try to start it, then when i do it again it will start, then it will blow a little white smoke. i can't figure out why it has a hard time starting some times (its random), its done it a few times when i go through drive throughs and shut it down so they can hear my order. any ideas? i have 79k on her as well. oh, and it seems to run fine after i get it started.

· Registered
930 Posts
White, when it is cold is low compression, and unburned fuel, or late timing. I looked in my manual and they say if you have electronic active fault codes or high counts of inactive codes it will do that. then a lot of cold running suggestions then the boost sensor malfunction, faulty injector, Injector washer thickness incorrect, fuel grade and filter, intake restriction, intake and or exhaust leaks{ low boost} charge air cooler leaking, fuel drain line restriction, valve set, lift pump, head gasket and last but not least, Pull the oil drain plug and cut apart the filter looking for internal damage. My list would be fuel pressure, fuel filter, check the leak-down of the charge air cooler{ at 30 pounds pressure no more than 5 lbs in 15 seconds}, valve set and then oil and filter inspection. You will need a program and when you check the charge air put the pressure in the turbo outlet side and put a gauge in the intake manifold and check the boost sensor pressure reading and the intake manifold for leaks. That should keep you busy for a while.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I can assure u its not a head gasket it wud leak all the time its more than likly its ur injectors bleeding off over nite draining the rail into the cylinders n that's why its running ruff at first and the white smoke is the exess fuel being burned that was sitting in the piston cups (all the fuel from the rail) I wud have it looked at by the stealer before it becomes a rod bearing or burnt piston cuz if that injector/injector sticks wide open ue in trouble!

· Premium Member
655 Posts
Lately i have been noticing a little bit of a stumble at start-up and a big puff of white smoke. My truck has not always done this but mainly seems to happen after sitting over night now that it is going down into the low 50's upper 40's. If the truck is warm it doesnt seem to have a stumble. Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
655 Posts
ya thats what im hoping, would a bad injector make timing rattle sound worse? The reason i ask is because i get some serious timing rattle with my smarty on higher levels or i increase the timing with revo. It is the little bit of stumble that worries me at start up, truck never did it before?

· Registered
930 Posts
If it is advanced to far it sounds like the pistons are hitting the head, a metallic Knock. and if is retarded it will start only with throttle depressed and will smoke a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.