Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 dodge is smokeing white/greyish at idle. and it gets worse the more boost I run going down the road. I'm going to try bumping up the timeing. I'v read that it could be air in the fuel. I know I'v got one small fuel seep right at the pump on the inpute line. but how could air get in when my fuel pump is set with the 5-7 psi spring(I'v got a holly blue electric fuel pump). It has close to 300K on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ya I have the same problem I have a 91 non intercooled w250 and what hapend to me was my pump sheared that half moon on the taperd shaft so i pulled another pump off a motor that i use for parts and all i get is heavy whight smoke:banghead: I have over 300k miles on it also :confused013:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Where can i find cheep rebuilt injection pumps in Tx for a 91 w250 non intercooled 4x4

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does it only smoke white?? Or does it stumble and miss when accelerating? If it does miss i would pull the injectors and send them to a shop to be pop tested/checked out. Just my .02

·
Registered
186 Posts
on the way home form buying my 92 it stated to miss and smoke white and I mean real bad so whats the frist thing one should do to any new rig. its change the filters. that fixed it. it din't help that after I payed the DA I had to go find the. Truck out of fuel on the side of the road about 10 blocks from his house.Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It runs fine exept for the white smoke. no missing or anything I dont think its doing as good on fuel as it did though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
check your fuel pressure, i bet its low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bumped the timing and it seems to be fine now . took it a 3or4 miles to clear up though. My fuil pressure was fine I'v got a gauge on it. Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks ill give them a call Diesel Injection was no help they wanted way to much to rebuild my pump

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
well whats done to your truck? is it possibly a headgasket? more boost = more rpms so the water pump is turning quicker putting more antifreeze in there. check your coollant level. if its dry thats your problem if its full i would cancel that guess lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
well whats done to your truck? is it possibly a headgasket? more boost = more rpms so the water pump is turning quicker putting more antifreeze in there. check your coollant level. if its dry thats your problem if its full i would cancel that guess lol
A water pump dosn't make pressure, its a non positive displacement pump. the pressure in your cooling system is from the water expanding as it warms.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Most likely advanced it.

The timing advance piston in these pumps will get sticky or just plain stuck after 18years and 300K mi. Depending on where it stuck/ sticks, that can cause the symptoms you described. If it is still the original pump, it's a good idea to have it gone through and new plunger return springs installed at the same time- they have a life expectancy of around 250-275K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 92 w250 and when i put some load on it it smoked white abit. then i turned in the smoke screw a bit and i got a miss at higher rpms and white smoke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts