Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

white smoke and two codes

1360 Views 21 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  OnThErOcKs
i bought this truck about 2 months ago its my second cummins.... it has 105k miles on it and the only mod on it right now is the single 5"stack... it has had a little white smoke on start up sence i bought it and would go away after i started driving... but today i went out an started it and it seemed to have a little abnormal amout of smoke coming out i turned the truck off and turned the key 3 times to see if there were any codes and it came up with

P 0541 intake air heater relay 1 low
P 0483 cooling fan speed

i dont think these codes would have anything to do with the white smoke..
i was thinking maybe a leaking injector, or maybe my cp3???

and not sure how to get ride of the codes eather i put my bros smarty on there and it cleared the cooling fan speed and that was about 3 weeks ago and now it came back

thanks in advence for the help!!!!
my cell is 575 937 7233 or just reply on here
joe
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts
How cold is it where your at? If the grid heater isnt working and its cold it probably will smoke. Does it tick at idle even after its warmed up? Have you checked the oil to see if it risin?

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How cold is it where your at? If the grid heater isnt working and its cold it probably will smoke. Does it tick at idle even after its warmed up? Have you checked the oil to see if it risin?
im in ruidoso nm working ... around 7600 feet above sea level not that it affects anything... it gets about 45*at night and 65/75 during the day... it is a rough idle it sounds like the truck has a cam in it but after warming up a little bit the rough idle goes away and seems normal... checked the oil eariler and it was fine

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts
When I had an injector mess up mine would smoke on startup and it would tick as I let out of the clutch, otherwise it ran fine. There is a wire somewhere on these trucks that will get the coating rubbed off and it causes them to idle rough but I cant remember where its at.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I had an injector mess up mine would smoke on startup and it would tick as I let out of the clutch, otherwise it ran fine. There is a wire somewhere on these trucks that will get the coating rubbed off and it causes them to idle rough but I cant remember where its at.
hmm i was think that i would just replace my nozzles with stock or maybe 50 hp ones... i will be doing a turbo and stuff in the future... you think it would be something just like the coating on a wire? i might just pull it apart and take a look around!!!
as far as the fan speed code... does that mean its giong out? i have been reading a lot and a lot of people say that they replace there and no more problems and some said it could also be a fuze??? anythoughs on the grid heater

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts
If its an injector, nozzles wont fix it. Youll need the whole injector, you can get them from thoroughbred diesel for about $335 and they are site sponsors. It seems like the wire is buy the a/c condenser or something. I will talk to my buddy tommorow and ask him where the wire is forsure. There are pics on here somewhere that show where the wire is. I think there is a relay for the grid heater but i have never messed with mine so im unsure.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its an injector, nozzles wont fix it. Youll need the whole injector, you can get them from thoroughbred diesel for about $335 and they are site sponsors. It seems like the wire is buy the a/c condenser or something. I will talk to my buddy tommorow and ask him where the wire is forsure. There are pics on here somewhere that show where the wire is. I think there is a relay for the grid heater but i have never messed with mine so im unsure.
if it was the injector wouldent i have a code for the solonoid not the nozzle ovisly if it was a cracked nozzle diesel woudl be everywhere... not chance of a CP3 problem would it? truck does have 105000 miles? know its not much but........

thanks again:thumbsup:

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts
If its an injector there will be diesel in the oil so it would need to be fixed asap. From my experience there will be no CEL or codes stored with a bad injector.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If its an injector there will be diesel in the oil so it would need to be fixed asap. From my experience there will be no CEL or codes stored with a bad injector.
when we were working on my bros truck "ruidosododge" and he had a very rough idle and his truck through a injector miss fire code we replaced just the inj body and that fixed it... wish i could narrow it down some how

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i just checked my oil have not ran the truck in 2 days... and it is prolly around 3/4 of a inch over the safe zone on the dip stick.... injectors??? i have a friend at a dealer ship that i think is going to get me in after hours and see if we can diagnose the problem!!!

anyone else have any ideas i have no codes relating to injectors

do i need to replace my fan clutch? have not priced them but would it be worth it to just buy the flexalite fans???

last but not least the grid heater relay 1 low... what do i need to do there replace it or can i fix it some how???

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any more ideas??? i think its a injector... for my main prob

but on the other codes does anyone think that the flex a lite fans are efficient or just buying another stock fan clutch???

· Registered
817 Posts
Take your dipstick out and wipe it with a paper towel. If you get a wet "halo" around the oil you have diesel in your oil.

As far as the white smoke, I sometimes smoke white at idle and the past few days have been about 30-40 in the mornin. The grid heater code means your grid heater isn't working, the grid heater heats up the air going into your intake. The colder the air the more dense it is which means the more air you're getting as opposed to warm air. Which when you get more air than fuel you get white smoke (more fuel than air you get black). When it is cold it can't combust properly cause of the amount of air. Check the grid heater relay and wires on the heater itself and make sure it's all connected. Bet this get's rid of the smoke. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take your dipstick out and wipe it with a paper towel. If you get a wet "halo" around the oil you have diesel in your oil.

As far as the white smoke, I sometimes smoke white at idle and the past few days have been about 30-40 in the mornin. The grid heater code means your grid heater isn't working, the grid heater heats up the air going into your intake. The colder the air the more dense it is which means the more air you're getting as opposed to warm air. Which when you get more air than fuel you get white smoke (more fuel than air you get black). When it is cold it can't combust properly cause of the amount of air. Check the grid heater relay and wires on the heater itself and make sure it's all connected. Bet this get's rid of the smoke. :thumbsup:
well the truck has smoked a little sence i bought it and know a lil white smk was not bad but the last couple start ups the idle has been rougher and a little more white smoke coming out... and my oil is a little high:banghead: i will check the halo test lol tommarrow... also the grid heater wires thanks for the help!:headbang:

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just got out of the stealership my grid heater went out... $140 bux to replace new and i guess ill be in good shape
thanks guys for the imput!!!

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you just get a new Intake Air Heater Relay??
no its the grid heater it self that sits under the intake horn... im 95% sure... ill double check my friend said thats what i needed and i trust he is not :buttkick: lols but i will let you know for sure:party018:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.