Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I noticed a whining noise that can be from inside the cab. I can't hear it with the hood open. I can also hear it at idle but it's more pronounced at 10-15 miles an hour. Power steering fluid is full and can't see any leaks. It moves with the RPMS. I just picked it up from the dealer and he said everything is fine but he was really focused on the power steering because when I went in I said it "sounded like a power steering whine". Normally I just hear the cummins.

It could be that I'm so focused on the whine now that i'm going crazy. I'm leaving for WY from AZ in 2 days and it would be a disaster to get stranded where i'm going.

One other thing... after I picked up from the dealer and pulled into my parking spot at work. I was shifting through the gears just to see how the sound responded, and the rpms would bounce for a few seconds with the whine.

The service adviser was cool and said bring it back in tomorrow and we'll check a few more things out. I don't think they checked anything but power steering. I got in 2 cummins at the dealership and all I could hear was the cummins.

Any thought?

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
Mine has been doing something like this as well, and I'm pretty sure it is the power steering, some internal seal or something leaking maybe, and the noise being transmitted up the steering shaft into the cab.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has been doing something like this as well, and I'm pretty sure it is the power steering, some internal seal or something leaking maybe, and the noise being transmitted up the steering shaft into the cab.
Mine almost sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment passenger side

·
4,002 Posts
Mine too. I haven't changed my power steering fluid yet....I'm sure I'm way over due.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just dropped the truck off again. I will keep you guys posted...

For those you with this issue, are you worried about it? Just driving until something fails? Going to try a few things to fix it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
AZhunter79 I'm sure you're going to WY for a hunting trip so good luck to you.
It always sucks to have a nagging thought in your head that something could be wrong with your truck when you're so far from home and out in the boonies. Hopefully they'll find the problem before you go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZhunter79 I'm sure you're going to WY for a hunting trip so good luck to you.
It always sucks to have a nagging thought in your head that something could be wrong with your truck when you're so far from home and out in the boonies. Hopefully they'll find the problem before you go.
Thanks for the good luck wishes buddy! You are correct, 6 of us are hunting Antelope on a Private ranch near Douglas. It should be awesome as long as no hiccups happen on the way. I do hope they find something before the end of the day. And if they do, it's not crazy expensive.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
I just dropped the truck off again. I will keep you guys posted...

For those you with this issue, are you worried about it? Just driving until something fails? Going to try a few things to fix it?
Mine needs the fluid changed I'm sure, but it won't keep the truck from operating.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I also have a whine sound, that intensifies and can be felt mildly through the steering wheel after a large dip in the road, or after coming down the backside of a speed bump. The whine is most prominent just after startup and also during cold temperatures throughout winter. If the dip is particularly large, like a roadside drain, the intensified whine and steering wheel roughness will last nearly a full two seconds.

The whine sounds just like power steering, varies with RPM, changes pitch slightly at steering lock. In the past it happened mostly on cold days, but this summer it has not gone away, and the dip thing happens now too.

I’m afraid the problem is getting worse.

To OP, I’ve been driving like this for about 4000 miles. So, don’t worry about your trip. Just waiting for my next 6 month oil change to have the dealer take a ride with me.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Anymore theories here? As the temps have dropped here, the whine is becoming noticeable more often. Now I hear it a couple times when leaned over in a longer and tight corner/bend in the road. It’s constantly there at low volume and varies with rpms. Really sounds like power steering as it also changes when turning the wheel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anymore theories here? As the temps have dropped here, the whine is becoming noticeable more often. Now I hear it a couple times when leaned over in a longer and tight corner/bend in the road. It’s constantly there at low volume and varies with rpms. Really sounds like power steering as it also changes when turning the wheel.
Im hoping its nothing, as I have the same thing. Just waiting for one of the smart guys to chime in. Time to hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got mine figured out, turned out to be a small exhaust leak from installing my new setup. I swear it sounded like a bad torque converter. Thank god!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I installed a resonator this weekend and tightened all of my exhaust clamps in the process. After testing I noticed the whine was completely gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts