Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done a whicked wheel on an HX35? How hard was it? What was the benefits? Or any other better turbo upgrades to lower egts and maybe get some more performance? Really just dont want to drop 1100-1500 for a turbo. Thanks

·
Over that 2nd Gen life...
8,293 Posts
Don't fall for the marketing wank. Worthless upgrade.

Save your money and have a shop rework your HX if you don't want to pay BW bucks. Savage Fab is currently favored for their reworked Holsets, which I believe you can buy as a kit if you want to save some money. I would call them to get specific guidance on a turbo for your use case.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a modified HE351CW and am stoked with it. But looking around at options, that turbo lab of America has a way you could pretty cheaply put a 60mm compressor on an HX 35 (hx40 bearing housing,wheel and cover). I think I saw that for $245. That and a quality rebuild kit on it (easy to do, I have 1k on my rebuild and running great). With that setup (60/60/12), I think you’d have a better setup without many cons. The HE351cw that people rave about is a 60/58/9, I think you may be losing a little efficiency with the older HX exhaust/compressor cover (maybe) but you’d have a slightly better flowing setup with the already larger exhaust on the HX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I second the idea of using a hybrid HX35 with the 60mm compressor wheel. I am running that exact turbo right now and have been very happy with it - especially for the price. I went with Turbolab and got the assembled bearing hosuing / rotating assembly with machined compressor cover for a very small cost relative to a new turbo. I've found that it still spools extremely well, not far off from a stock HX35 at all (I'm not sure I could even tell the difference with an automatic). I did spring for the billet compressor wheel. As for power, definitely an upgrade from the stock HX35 and the K27 I've also run. No surge issues to speak of, couldn't really be happier for the cost which is a small fraction of the $1100+ for a new BW turbo.

·
Registered
566 Posts
How did the HX40 60mm compressor on an HX35 perform mpg wise? I’m sure right foot can wreck anyone’s mileage, but I read of lots of reports of people using the HE351 and losing mpg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How did the HX40 60mm compressor on an HX35 perform mpg wise? I’m sure right foot can wreck anyone’s mileage, but I read of lots of reports of people using the HE351 and losing mpg.
I'm probably not the best to speak about fuel mileage as I'm on 35s with very low gears (4.30's) and a bit of a lift, plus I've not checked mileage since I installed the turbo. That being said, my understanding of the HE351's possible mpg issue is that it's tied to the tight exhaust housing and smallish turbine. Such issues wouldn't apply to the hybrid HX35.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Agreed, the mileage loss on the 351 is due to the exhaust side. I noticed right away that the cruise boost was down 2-3 psi on the truck when I put the 62mm wheel in. It felt ‘uncorked’. How much did it go down from the HX to the HE351CW? None that I could really tell. The truck will pretty reliably get 20.5mpg. If the wind is blowing the right way she’ll get 23mpg. I think I’m better served mpg wise by trying to reduce the brake drag from the Ford calipers on the front. It’s significant, but apparently ‘stock’ drag on these. I tried opening a caliper (new) bleed screw and it didn’t change the amount of drag.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’m thinking of doing the HX40 compressor swap onto my HX35. Will my safe usable boost levels still be 30-35??

If so, what does the HE351 have or how is it built differently that allows more boost? I read of people who put 40 on them routinely.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don’t know, so maybe wait for an expert, but you’re putting the same wheel in has an HE351cw. So I would imagine you should be able to do 40 pretty reliably. I have to say though, on my truck, by the time the boost is at 30psi, so much stuff is happening (exhaust temps, 80mph) that I’ll never ‘know’ if mine can ‘reliably’ run 40-45 psi.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’ll wait, but thanks for your info/opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the wastegate on my hybrid HX35/40 set to limit me to ~39psi and I've never had a single issue. When you say "safe" do you mean safe as in not breaking a shaft or safe as in running efficiently?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Breaking shaft, or worse. I realize it’s likely out of its efficiency by then.

I can run myHX35 with no problems and no heat issues with 35 psi, but planning on going up injector size quite a bit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I’ve heard that most shaft breakage comes from ‘barking’ the turbo, or letting off the gas too fast after a high psi load. If I understand the dynamics/theory right, it’s sending it into compressor stall which is what puts the wheel into a housing and stress on the shaft

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anyone done a whicked wheel on an HX35? How hard was it? What was the benefits? Or any other better turbo upgrades to lower egts and maybe get some more performance? Really just dont want to drop 1100-1500 for a turbo. Thanks
To OP. The whicked wheel is a waste of money. You are better off talking to a company and getting a turbo for your intended use and injector size.

The Stock HX35 is good for 35 PSI after that you run out of its effected zone and are just putting hot air into the engine and not doing any good.

I’ve heard that most shaft breakage comes from ‘barking’ the turbo, or letting off the gas too fast after a high psi load. If I understand the dynamics/theory right, it’s sending it into compressor stall which is what puts the wheel into a housing and stress on the shaft
The reason people break Turbo shafts is because they let off the gas after a hard pull and this effectively "barks" the turbo. Causing the turbine wheel to spin the opposite direction or come to a halt. this is terrible for any turbo and should not be done. This is why on Gas motors they have Blow off valves.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with what 2kcumminsvp44 says with one minor note: I don't believe that the compressor / turbine wheel stops or spins in the opposite direction when a turbo barks aka surges / stalls. The flow reverses though the wheels likely keep spinning in the same direction. This does put a big dynamic spike into the rotating system which can causes a lot of stress and can make it ring, leading to damage.

I also believe that overspeed can be a cause of failure, and this has a lot to do with running the turbo outside of its efficient range - like 2kcumminsvp44 said, past some point you're outside of the stock HX35's efficient zone and it's my understanding that, at that point, you're getting a lot of wheel speed and generating a lot of hot air but not getting much else done. The He351 compressor has a larger efficient operating zone and I'm thinking that's why you can run higher pressure / flow before overspeed occurs. This benefit at least partially carries over when you use the HE351 / HX40 compressor wheel in the HX35. Think about some of the monster HE351s that are out there with the same shaft but much larger compressor and turbine wheels, pushing very high power numbers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you ask me the way to go is a nice S362 SE-X. Then later down the road if you want to make more power you can just put a S475 under it and make like 700hp. You will get best bang for your buck that way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
all depends on your power goals, hard to argue with the he351cw for a mild truck 450-400hp and under. its basically a super40/35 hybrid with more aerodynamicly efficient housings and turbine wheel. if you're chasing power a drop in s362-369 is the best first step depending on what your power goals are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don’t expect to go above 400hp. Since I have an HX35, it’s more of a drop in to use the HX35-40 hybrid. He351 requires mods and the drop in mpg (Reported by some) and getting hotter under load are steering me to the hybrid as well.
The mpg probably is right foot controlled.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don’t expect to go above 400hp. Since I have an HX35, it’s more of a drop in to use the HX35-40 hybrid. He351 requires mods and the drop in mpg (Reported by some) and getting hotter under load are steering me to the hybrid as well.
The mpg probably is right foot controlled.
A drop in k27 would probably be the best solution then, but usually much more spendy than doing an he351

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your only looking to stay about 400hp then an HX35 will do that for you. You can spend your money other places that will make the truck faster then on a hybrid turbo. INHO the hybrid stuff for the HX35 is a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts