Which would you choose? Both with the 5.9

• 2006 4 speed auto Lone star edition

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • 2007 6 speed manual

Votes: 97 71.3%

Which would you choose?

2K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  kinggrantz 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't decide on which I would like better. The '06 4 speed auto Lone Star edition or the '07 6 speed manual. The '06 has 19000 miles and the '07 23000. What do you think? And why would you choose one over the other?

#10 ·
I do a little towing with mowers and such. Getting rid of my '98 gas guzzler now that gets 11 and have always wanted to go diesel. Either way, plan on doing a chip, exhaust, and intake. After that, whatever it needs to keep running, be it trans upgrades or what not.

#6 ·
i love my auto matic but a 6speed would be awsome too its a tough choice.
they only had two 5.9 autos when i bought mine new in september. if they would of had a manual i probably would have bought it just for fun i dont need one but shifting is fun

#7 ·
i like the auto more but i think the 2007s look better

they dont have that amber strip on the headlights

#14 ·
Get the manual and have fun! :peelout

#16 ·
Just My Opinion. I have had both, a 03 5.9 HO QC 4x4 with the 6 speed, and now an 07 5.9 Auto QC 4x4. And in my humble opinion, the 6 speed got better mileage and was more fun to drive. However, my reason for ditching the 6 speed was Houston Traffic. Stop and go traffic had my clutch leg wore out.

#19 · (Edited)
I chose the 6spd because my last 4 Diesels have been stick. My 04.5 is a 6spd and I think it sounds great even when just tugging away from a light and the fuel milage is just a plus. :hyper:

#21 ·
I didnt pick one, because I love both. But Ill throw out my opinions:

Other than tranny, both trucks are the same (assuming the 07 is a 5.9 and not a 6.7) The Lonestar Edition is just a package of popular options on the SLT, like power windows, locks, sliding rear window, tow hooks, fog lights, Sirius, etc. Thats it. Nothin fancy. Its the same as a Big Horn Edition or Thunder Road Package. So thats not really a selling point...

So, the thing is the tranny. Manuals are fun, and cheaper to upgrade a clutch (~1300+/-) as compared to an auto (~2k for VB/TC; 7k+ full billet tranny.) If you want to go fast, get the auto. Stock to stock theyre fairly close, start modding and you need a good amount more power in the manual to outrun an auto, and better be dang good at grabbin gears...towing with a stock auto, well Ive never done it so I cant tell ya. But towing with a built auto is just as good as a manual. Depending who you ask, it may be better.

My 03 is a 6speed, and one day Ill tackle making it fast. But I set out to get an auto in the 07 just on account of I wanted to go racing and get big power...and I know that Ill get another automatic some day, but it wont stay stock for long. Thatll be the first mod is getting the auto built. I have nothing negative to say about either trans; theyre both good and the autos, I think, have an unfair reputation for being weak. Theyll usually take a fair amount of abuse...

#22 ·
As alot of you know, my truck has had both the 6speed and Auto in it. For me, the auto wins hands down. The 6speed was fun at times, but not all of the time. :thumbsup

#24 ·
Yep, both trucks have the 5.9. I think the manual would be great but I know I would get tired of it after awhile. So that leads me to the auto. But I know that the manual would get better mileage which never hurt anybody. I think it will come down to whichever I find first that has all the options I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.