Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have found a Dealer that has a 5.9 and 6.7 (2007) both on his lot. Which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Better fuel economy
No emissions
The 07.5(6.7), not so good. First year motor, had LOTS of problems.
If you want/plan on modding it, get a 5.9, if you want to leave it stock, the 6.7 has more power stock and a much better automatic trans. If you do think you'll like the 6.7 better, get an 08, skip the 07.5.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'd say you could get a LOT better deal on the 5.9 because its an older motor (even if it is brand new) and Id say 5.9 if you are planning on doing any mods and not having to worry about the DPF its a cummins those either way you are gonna be A. O.K. :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ditto what Skidoo said!!!

·
If you aint 1st..Ure LAST
2,298 Posts
5.9 all the way. dad has a 6.7 and we can't do nuttin to unless he gets rid of that filer and he's havin problems with the turbo to.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I got an 07.5 and havent had much issues at all. I would say look for an 08. But the potential of this 6.7 is ever expanding. Mods are getting better and better. Tranny is better and the built in e-brake is very nice for towing.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I got an 07.5 and havent had much issues at all. I would say look for an 08. But the potential of this 6.7 is ever expanding. Mods are getting better and better. Tranny is better and the built in e-brake is very nice for towing.
:agree2:

If you are willing to part ways with your warranty get the 6.7, if not get the 5.9. The 6.7 has tremendous potential and will have all of the modding capabilities one day. However, I do love my 5.9.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK but lets ask it this way which would have the better MPG and again Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
172 Posts
5.9 would do a bit better onthe gas mileage. AI honestly would think you would get a much better price onthe 5.9 than the 6.7, if not then I dont know any other reason to not get the 6.7. Isn't dodge offering gas for a year at $2.99 with the purchase of a new truck right now? if so then gas mileage doesn't mean that much.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
5.9 would do a bit better onthe gas mileage. AI honestly would think you would get a much better price onthe 5.9 than the 6.7, if not then I dont know any other reason to not get the 6.7. Isn't dodge offering gas for a year at $2.99 with the purchase of a new truck right now? if so then gas mileage doesn't mean that much.
Only problem with that is, you don't get other incentives to combine with the fuel incentive.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
OK but lets ask it this way which would have the better MPG and again Thanks ahead of time
Thats a difficult question because there are so many factors. Common sense would say 5.9 would get better than the 6.7 because of the smaller displacement but, that's not always the case. Driving habits, mods, terrain, weather, tires, etc. all effect mileage. IMO, if you take a stock 5.9 you would need to delete all emissions stuff off the 6.7 to match the fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
The 5.9 should net better milage. With lower compression, emmissions standards and larger displacement it only hurts the fuel economy. :CRY:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if you take a stock 5.9 you would need to delete all emissions stuff off the 6.7 to match the fuel mileage.
and when you do that you say adios to the warranty!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everybody - alot to think about. But it appears you will either have trouble with the 6.7 or you won't. 5.9 may have less touble, maybe, definately will not have the emmissions standards to deal with and hopefully better MPG. I even check out the Ford Forum (forgive me) and they appear to be having the same problem with that motor. But at heart I've have always wanted a Doge Diesel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts