Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which Used Cummins?

914 5
Hi all. I’ve come here looking for help in deciding which Dodge Ram / Cummins I should buy. I am shopping around for a used one. So far I am looking at a 03, 04, and a 07. Is there a big difference in the engines involved as far as dependability, fuel mileage, repair issues, general cost of ownership. The above trucks all have 50 to 60 thousand miles. I also know of a 08 but I think it may be a little out of my price range.

How about the truck itself? Suspension? Ride? Handling? Tranny’s? I tow a 28 foot fifth wheel that has a GVWR of 12500 Lbs a Dry weight of 7100 and a pin weight of 1650. On occasion I may throw my 18 foot boat or my Yamaha Rhino behind it all. Would a ¾ ton Cummins would do the trick? Did Dodge make a 3rd Generation Deisel Extended Cab model with and 8 ft. box in a SRW? Is there somewhere I can go to find the GCWR of the different HD configurations? I am just wondering which year would be the best investment. My budget is 15 to 25K. Thanks for your input.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
well i have heard that the 04.5 and down get better fuel mileage. but the 04.5 and higher have a tad bit more power:thumbsup:

· Registered
497 Posts
Yes you can find a quad cab (extended cab with 4 doors) long bed model with a higher GVWR than the short beds. The only ones you can't get with a long bed are the Mega Cabs, and you can't get a regular cab with a shortbox.

A 12K pound 5er is no big deal for a 3/4 ton Cummins equipped ram.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I just got done looking at the 04. The dealer has not gotten the 03 in as of yet. I think that I am going to concentrate on these two for a little while. They both have 60,000 miles and are one owner rigs.

The 04 looks really good, doesn't appear to have any obvious body work done. It did have an injector replaced in Nov of 09 and had the fuel pump changed at the same time. Does that raise cause for concern? I think it may also have had some work done on the steering but can't remember exacly what and has had two U-Joints replaced, not sure which ones.

The shop foreman reported that it was not a 2004.5, he ran a check on the VIN #. Yet on the Options report the salesman printed out for me shows it as having a XCKP: Cummins 600 Turbo Diesel Engine. Is that not the upgraded 2004.5 engine? As always any and all positive input is very much appreciated.

· Registered
4,304 Posts
the 600 series is the 04.5 you can check the tag on the drivers side of the engine or it might be on drivers door sill or something.

if it is an 04.5 that wouold explain the injector being replaced already they seem to have chronic injector probs and i think the 04 and older didnt have too many injector failures.

another difference of the 04.5s is ther turbo, so far its proved to be more powerful and pretty durable oh and i believe it was also this yr when dodge switched the fuel pump to be inside the fuel tank which is better IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.