Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which turbo?

1315 14
Ok, in a month or so, I'll have the funds to upgrade finally :hyper: I am getting a new lift pump (airdog 150), Smarty to stack on my Edge comp (not hot), 150hp injectors, new turbo manifold, retorquing the headbolts (for now), and getting a turbo...... what does everyone think? Gt3776s, gt3782, or gt4082sn? Limiting to under 48psi + water/meth injection.

Next will be a monster 1 vp44, fire-ringing, porting and polishing, headstuds, marine gasket, springs. I am just working on my "stage 1" and need to know if anyone has used any of these turbos. My girlfriend works for frieghtliner and can get anyone of these turbos for a big discount, so let me know whats up, guys!! :thumbsup
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
i dunno much about the garrett turbos, i would call someone that is a dealer for them (for pickup truck turbos) and tell them the plans for the truck and talk to them a while!!

what about your tranny? it ain't gonna hold much more than you got! seriously

· Registered
391 Posts
I"ll probably get some flame for this, but who knows.

I was looking into Garret Turbos but my wrench said his big fear of them is that the water cooling side could fail and enter the oil. And anti-freeze tears up internal parts like sandpaper. I don't know if this is true or not. but it is something to consider.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
I am running the Garrett GT3788R & Just took off the GT 3782R (Stage 2). I absolutly love them!!! Verry fast spooling! Let me know if there is any way I can help:thumbsup

· Registered
3,618 Posts
How much power are you looking to make?

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not really shooting for a certain power range, I am just trying to make as much as I can and at the same time leave room for upgrades. I am seriously thinking about the gt4082, as it is a large compressor and will leave a huge range of usable boost for when I change to studs and fire ring it, yet still spool decent.
MOPAR MAN, I read your thread on your turbo and injectors, and was wondering if you know how comparible in spool time a gt4082 is to your gt3788. And how does your VP44 do with your 120's?

· Registered
3,618 Posts
I am not really shooting for a certain power range, I am just trying to make as much as I can and at the same time leave room for upgrades. I am seriously thinking about the gt4082, as it is a large compressor and will leave a huge range of usable boost for when I change to studs and fire ring it, yet still spool decent.
MOPAR MAN, I read your thread on your turbo and injectors, and was wondering if you know how comparible in spool time a gt4082 is to your gt3788. And how does your VP44 do with your 120's?
The VP is doing great with the injectors:thumbsup Im not to sure about that compairison. I do know that that is a prety big turbo and will move a lot of air once lit. But not to sure on how fast that 4082 will light. But thats the good thing about these Ball Baring turbos they spool much faster than the comprable non BB turbos. Im sure with enuff fuel it will light right up.

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, that is what I was thinking. I was looking at your set-up and you said the 3788 spooled rather quickly with 120hp injectors, I figured that a 4082 would spool comparibly with 150hp injectors and a Smarty stacked on my Comp

· Registered
3,618 Posts
yea, that is what I was thinking. I was looking at your set-up and you said the 3788 spooled rather quickly with 120hp injectors, I figured that a 4082 would spool comparibly with 150hp injectors and a Smarty stacked on my Comp
Ya it might. The inital spool up isnt quet as quick as it was with the 3782 but once it starts it spools way harder. You should give Tom @ turbo Re-Source a call he could give you some good onfo on the best turbo to go with:thumbsup

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well my girlfriend works for freightliner and gets a big discount on any turbo (or part) for any major diesel company :T: my options are widespread....as long as it is OEM in some truck, i can get it :D

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
depends the fueling mods!! with a loose converter and some big injectors it would'nt light as bad a people say!! 71/71/14 s400 i believe .83AR

we built a 71mm s300 it was a 71/74/14 (wolf in sheeps clothing)it spooled pretty well and moved some air but went thru bearings fairly quick! it looked like a silver bullet or sps62!!

· Registered
2,665 Posts
A smarty will help a big turbo spool alot better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.