Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a single turbo for right now, i want to eventually get twins but cant afford it right now. what turbo would be good for the money, im not wanting to spend alot of money but yet i still want a good turbo.

also any price quotes

·
2,248 Posts
If you want twins later on, then I would suggest looking at the HTT 62/71/13ss or a 62/71/14. You would be able to use it later on in a twin setup and it would make a great driver alone. Industrial Injection also has some great turbos, silver62 and the sps62 would work great.

·
Banned
393 Posts
If i were to upgrade my turbo, i would look into ATS Aurora 4000, or an Industrial Injection Phat Shaft. Both of these turbos can be upgraded later to Compound turbo set-ups, and run good before they are matched for twins. The Phat shaft is rated alone up-to 700hp. And they are fairly inexpensive as far as turbos go.:peelout

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i was to put a turbo on my truck with just a smarty jr and an exhaust what kind of power gains would i see, im pushing 35lbs now, what would i see later.

·
I bleed diesel
1,342 Posts
Get an II phat shaft 62/65/14 from PDW. They have a huge II turbo sale going on right now and this turbo can be had for $1100. This is a great deal on a turbo that will tow awesome and support 500 HP. Plus, with this turbo you already have the top turbo for your choice of twins later on.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I just installed an HTT 62/13/71 with intentions of upgrading to twins in the near future. So far this turbo is an excellent daily driving and turned my truck into another animal power wise. I would definitely recommend it to you for what you wanna do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what would a turbo upgrade do if ive only got a smarty jr. would i need more mods before a turbo??

·
I bleed diesel
1,342 Posts
what would a turbo upgrade do if ive only got a smarty jr. would i need more mods before a turbo??
The exhaust will flow better and you will get more air into the combustion chamber allowing you to burn your fuel more completely. You will also see lower EGT due to the better airflow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would recommend a tranny upgrade before the turbo. When I installed my 62/71/13ss my TC started slipping pulling perty heavy at 60 Mph and a slight uphill. Unless you are willing to do the tranny then stay with the stock turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts