Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is stock except for flopro delete pipe and Smarty. So far I have run it on tune 1 and tune 3 with default settings. Runs fine, smooth, good power etc. I don't like the clatter (sounds like a 6.0 furd) at heavy throttle low rpm's. Nothing wrong with any of it sounds like every other cummins 5.9 or 6.7 with a rail pressure box but I want to get rid of it. Is this timing clatter or is it from the rail pressure? I'm sure I can figure this out on my own but I wondered if anyone had played with it. That might save me some time with the many options the smarty offers. Also anyone want to report egt's on a similar setup/tune. I am waiting for something new to come out in the form of a gauge/screen (not sure on what yet just want to see what comes down the pike).

R

·
0 Posts
Cruising on sw3, I'm at 600 to 650, but that's post turbo, so add what you want. I also would like to know what the "clatter" is? I noticed it when I ran the edge also, but I haven't ran anything in nearly 6 months. I'm assuming it's advanced timing, but if I remember right, I switched my edge to stock timing once, and still heard it, but maybe not as much. I'd also like to know if sw3 is safe for towing? I mainly just drag my camper and it's around 12k loaded. Also I have an auto. Not trying to hyjack your thread westex, but our questions are similar, and didn't want to start another thread.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Cruising on sw3, I'm at 600 to 650, but that's post turbo, so add what you want. I also would like to know what the "clatter" is? I noticed it when I ran the edge also, but I haven't ran anything in nearly 6 months. I'm assuming it's advanced timing, but if I remember right, I switched my edge to stock timing once, and still heard it, but maybe not as much. I'd also like to know if sw3 is safe for towing? I mainly just drag my camper and it's around 12k loaded. Also I have an auto. Not trying to hyjack your thread westex, but our questions are similar, and didn't want to start another thread.
:ditto: I agree with rattler on the 3 for towing.

The clatter is from the 4th injection being off. Louder combustion I guess.

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
If I remember right mine is 250* more pre then post at cruising speed but wot as much as 600* more, I put my hypertech on my buddies 09 and he gets the loud rattle also, I was thinking some where along the lines of injector noise

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No problem, RATLIN'HP. I was going to post these questions on another thread myself but I am not up on the hyjack stuff. I really think the sound is timing related (I know the 4th injection cycle being turned off affects it too), the 5.9L rail pressure boxes add rail pressure but in the MAP programing it makes the truck throw more timing hence the rattle/clatter whatever you want to call it. I am also wondering where the smarty gets its power rating, what I mean is if you set it to default (= to 2 on the adjustable settings from what I can tell in the directions) and SW 3 you get 60 hp, but when you change to SW 2 you get 60 hp but none of it is from timing, so does it up the pulse width, or the rail pressure or what to get the same hp. So if I want 60 hp without the clatter do I up the rail pressure and cut the timing or reduce both or what? I know I can figure it out but it might take me several hours (that I could spend with my family) of playing to do so.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wondering on the best tow setting also?

I figured 4 torque and 7 on the hp.

7 for smarty is 130 hp, which is the same as pmt claims in extreme.

I towed with my pmt in extreme just fine on the frwy then went to tow in gas stations and truck stops etc as per bully dogs instructions via the phone.

R

·
0 Posts
Westex,
Maybe you were posting when punchy posted, but the 4th squirt being MIA causes the clatter. So I don't know if you can get rid of it. I don't really think it's that bad, unless your really on it, and I'm not much of hot rod anyway.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You should not be running any type of programmer or tuner without gauges. You need at least an EGT gauge. That is not smart man. Seriously. You are risking alot. You could go with the Edge insight for gauges. Seriously dude.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should not be running any type of programmer or tuner without gauges. You need at least an EGT gauge. That is not smart man. Seriously. You are risking alot. You could go with the Edge insight for gauges. Seriously dude.
I know, I have had 14 dodges all modded and all with gauges towing everyday and have never hurt one. I will tow with this rig on SW1 until I get some pyro. Seeing what the EGT's have been on stock trucks since the 600 CR's came out and then what the egt's were with smarty, I am not too worried about running a 30hp smarty tune and towing.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
These trucks should have come from the Factory with a Pyro gauge, especially the 6.7

·
Registered
402 Posts
What are you guys thinking about rail pressure also? I have a mp-8 so I guess just one on the smarty?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These trucks should have come from the Factory with a Pyro gauge, especially the 6.7
No doubt. EGTs have been bad since the 04.5's. I saw 1400 pre turbo on my 05 when it was bone stock towing. I guess the metalurgy (sp) really did get a lot better when the 600 CR's came out, if not they would be melted down everywhere.

R

·
0 Posts
66jj,
I thing punch runs the mp-8 on 100%, but I'm not sure where he has the Smarty. I don't have a pressure box, and I'm on the cautious side of things still. A little gun shy even. This is the first thing back on my truck since the edge, and I lost the #3 injector. I don't think edge had much to do with that, but I still get a feeling that I need to be careful.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have seen 1200, not towing, with the edge on 1. I can't imagine what my EGTs were when I was stock pulling 8,000 lbs up I-17 on my way to Cottonwood.

·
08 Cummins
2,146 Posts
Westex,
Maybe you were posting when punchy posted, but the 4th squirt being MIA causes the clatter. So I don't know if you can get rid of it. I don't really think it's that bad, unless your really on it, and I'm not much of hot rod anyway.
I'm running the stock tunes and I have the clatter on SW3 and SW5 so I don't think it's due to the lack of the 4th injection.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
66jj,
I thing punch runs the mp-8 on 100%, but I'm not sure where he has the Smarty. I don't have a pressure box, and I'm on the cautious side of things still. A little gun shy even. This is the first thing back on my truck since the edge, and I lost the #3 injector. I don't think edge had much to do with that, but I still get a feeling that I need to be careful.
My truck is at SW5-TQ4-RP2-TM-2 with MP-8 100%

1 - 20 of 32 Posts