Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a ram 2500. i have now narrowed it down to two, but i cant decide :confused013: . the two are pretty much identical, except for the engine. i figured i'd come here for help

the 1st one is a 99 ram 2500 4x4 with the 24 valve, 5.9 6 cyl. turbo diesel cummins. it has 243,770 miles on it, but looks to be in great condition. i also love the sound of the diesel :drool2: :drool2:

the 2nd one is a 01 ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 8 cyl. gas engine. it has 108,000 miles on it, but also looks very good.

they both have very nice interiors and are about the same price (about $8000 each). the thing that is keeping me from making a decision is the mileage. i know these cummins run forever, but is 245k just too much?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The diesel is the obvious choice for longevity but, what you are going to do with the truck is important too.

Here, diesel fuel is about $.40 cents more per gallon. So the usage and mileage that you do will have a major impact on the cost of operation. Routine maint. on the diesel will be more i.e. oil change 11 qts versus six and costlier filters.

The 360 is a great engine but it is very thirsty. That coupled with the weight of the truck will produce very, very poor fuel mileage. On the other hand, if your handy maintenance is easy. The diesel is a bit more compliocated and costly if there are problems.

All that being said, having owned both over the years my choice is the diesel. I only use my truck to tow with and I don't do much of that. Still, I would not part with it.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
double post

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
They don't refer to the 5.9 Cummins as a million mile motor for nothing bud. Whats the 5.9 gasser known as.............??????? I don't know either. I have a 02 1 ton in my sig that has 311,000 miles on it and is rarely disconected from my 45' gooseneck. I dought the gasser could last like that and also get good MPG. JMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't refer to the 5.9 Cummins as a million mile motor for nothing bud. Whats the 5.9 gasser known as.............??????? I don't know either. I have a 02 1 ton in my sig that has 311,000 miles on it and is rarely disconected from my 45' gooseneck. I dought the gasser could last like that and also get good MPG. JMO.
what kind of mpg do you get with yours?

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
18mpg off the gooseneck and 8 to 12 on the goose neck with a load. The old reg cab longbed 360 2001 on the same trailer 4mpg and off the trailer 8 to 10. It was a 5 speed manny also. By the way, this is all hand done math, the overhead will lie lie lie!

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
By the way I should mention that I run a oilfield business in Western Kansas and I have about 35 trucks total in our fleet. A mix between Dodge and Ford, gas and diesel. What I'm offering you is real world, not what my moms, cousins, brothers, dad told me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way I should mention that I run a oilfield business in Western Kansas and I have about 35 trucks total in our fleet. A mix between Dodge and Ford, gas and diesel. What I'm offering you is real world, not what my moms, cousins, brothers, dad told me.:thumbsup:
wow thats not as bad i thought it would be. thanks alot

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You do not want that 5.9L V8 gasser... it will absolutely drink fuel just driving down the road... I had one in a 1999 Ram 1500 Regular Cab Long Bed 4x4... a pretty light truck... that thing consistently was under 14mpg on the highway doing the speed limit... when I put on a mild lift(3") and ran 33's, the absolute best it would do was 12mpg. This doesn't even take into account how gutless that thing was.

My only questions on the diesel are what transmission and when/if it's ever had a lift pump or injection pump put on it.

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
they don't refer to the VP44 injection pump as the 50k mile pump for no reason
I'd still rather take a Cummins with a VP44 over a 360 gasser any day:sofa1:

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
Forgot to mention in response to D. O. D. that every generation of Cummins Dodge has had it's issues. Killer dowel pin (12 Valve), 53 block (12 and 24 valve but mainly 24), lift pump2nd and early 3rd gen) , injection pump (VP44), injectors meltin down pistons (Common Rail). It's give and take with every generation of these Cummins.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i currently own a 1500 with the 360 under the hood. its got plenty of power and torque but as stated above your looking at 11-14 mpg generally. i have gotten 16mpg but thats all highway and a very light foot. i usually get 13 around town. also, when it hit 165k it started drinking some oil unless its warmed up before its driven

1 - 13 of 13 Posts