Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm afraid I am very close to losing my IP. It's throwing code 0253 and getting weak fast. Unfortunately, I am probably going to have park the truck for a couple months until I can get the money to replace the pump. Now, which pump do I buy? There are so many companies that advertise that they have the best reman pump, but who do I trust? From what everyone has told me in the past I need to go back with a SO pump rather than HO so I can get more power in the long run but I have had mechanics tell me that can't be done.

So, with the goal of close to 600hp truck in the future, which pump should I buy and who should I get it from?:confused013:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, will do. Is he one of our sponsors? And, not meaning to throw darts at him, but what sets his pumps apart from the rest?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great. Will look him up. As said, I don't want to throw rocks at anyone, but every website you go to says "Don't trust the other guys, our's are the real deal" so who knows which one to trust.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
S.O for sure, yes it will work fine on your truck. Go to the request a price section and let them duke it out for your business, but take the warranty into consideration.
Plan b, keep your eyes out for a used pump from someone you trust. I did a local purchase about a year ago and got the pump for quarters on the dollar.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I realize this thread is a little old, but I put a SO pump in mine....wish I wouldn't have. I don't plan on running as much power as the OP, but I would wait until your pump is the limiting factor. My truck is pretty much stock (edge J/A, afe, FASS) and my truck now runs like crap. Lost a lot of low end, diveability. My fuel economy dropped from 17 mpg to 12 with 8k behind me...and now I have to downshift on hills that I used easily get over with little throttle and 6th gear.
Guess it depends on what your using your truck for...I will never have over 100 HP injectors, maybe an upgraded turbo when mine dumps. I use my truck for pulling, and this "mod" has cost me.
I had several people like Chip Fisher and other reputable people tell me I wouldn't like the outcome...imagine my surprise, they were right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We shall see

·
Registered
124 Posts
We shall see

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I realize this thread is a little old, but I put a SO pump in mine....wish I wouldn't have. I don't plan on running as much power as the OP, but I would wait until your pump is the limiting factor. My truck is pretty much stock (edge J/A, afe, FASS) and my truck now runs like crap. Lost a lot of low end, diveability. My fuel economy dropped from 17 mpg to 12 with 8k behind me...and now I have to downshift on hills that I used easily get over with little throttle and 6th gear.
Guess it depends on what your using your truck for...I will never have over 100 HP injectors, maybe an upgraded turbo when mine dumps. I use my truck for pulling, and this "mod" has cost me.
I had several people like Chip Fisher and other reputable people tell me I wouldn't like the outcome...imagine my surprise, they were right.
ho pump is junk. . .however:

SO < HO untapped

SO 10x> HO tapped.

you wont see any benefits of an untapped SO pump vs an untapped HO pump. tap it and put your woes behind you. if you have your pump tapped and its still a turd then you have problems elsewhere. my guess would be you think its tapped and its not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is tapped, Edge J/A.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I did a little research, looks like the HO injectors are smaller than the SO and I need some larger nozzles. Looks like I better get some and build them up the next time I'm at the shop.

Any truth to this from people that have had factory injectors with a SO pump?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes I am sure... it was a real dog before it was taped.

Still looking for someone that has a SO pump on a HO truck with stock injectors....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yes I am sure... it was a real dog before it was taped.

Still looking for someone that has a SO pump on a HO truck with stock injectors....
with stock injectors, it'll be a dog no matter what. . .

to answer your injector question, yes they are different. they have different part numbers, and different flow rates. the HO is the mileage master. . .they upp'd the power w/ greater compression and advanced timing curve, while using less fuel (injector flows less). the difference is nominal, and your truck should still have more balls with a tapped SO than a tapped HO if you left your injectors unchanged. im not sayin it will be a crazy difference w/ stock injectors cuz it wont. somethin akin to 40 horse injectors would give ya a nice mileage/performance boost.

the SO pump is weak without added electronics. the HO basically has more timing built into the box, but much less than some of the boxes/programmers can provide. basically what im sayin is the edge is demanding more timing of the pump than the HO has built in. . .but only once boost is made (so no matter what the pump is doing what the edge tells it whether its an HO or an SO). a smarty would help you get the 0 boost timing back that the edge cant provide you, because the smarty is a much more aggressive box (pre boost timing/fuel) that basically works all the time where the edge basically does nothing without a boost registry (3psi i believe is when it starts to wake up). im not tellin you to break your bank with a buncha 600 dollar purchases, just tryin to help ya understand why your SO pump drives a little different than your HO did. a smarty would take care of your mileage woes, injectors would give it some balls and with small enough injectors, would even give ya another bump in mileage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you for that well written reply.

I should have at least the same HP on a dyno right? I am doing my emission check today and this should give me some more info.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dyno'd the truck, I have dropped 60 HP. Something is either wrong with the pump or something else is going on. More to follow..

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Dyno'd the truck, I have dropped 60 HP. Something is either wrong with the pump or something else is going on. More to follow..
yep it should have at least the same amount of hp. . .somethin is def wrong with the setup. have you checked for codes? alotta times you can provoke a code by purposefully drivin it hard so the computers can have a chance to recognize a glitch. otherwise i'd say you have a pump issue. whered you get the pump? how much was it? that might seem like a dumb question, but its actually an important one. pm me the answer if you dont want to publicly throw someone under the bus. . .

after i wrote this up i thought of somethin else. . . .60 hp with your setup is prob 20-25% drop in power. that bein said, you MUST have a problem that isnt associated with merely a pump change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts