Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about starting to piece together a p-pump setup. which pump should i look at? i've seen like the 160 and 180. is there a particular pump that i should look for?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
there are 3 options 160 which was on the 94-95 auto, the 180 which was on the 96-98 auto and the 215 which were on the 5 speeds, ideally it'd be best to get the 215, more power right off the pump, but second bet which is just as good is the 180, the 160 is ok but tend to have sticky valves and plungers, etc.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do those compare to like the II dragonfly/flow pumps. obviously i'm sure the II's flow more, but are they worth that much more?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What are your goals powerwise.
I'm sure you could go over 500 hp with any of the 3 pumps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my ideal pump (what i just built) 215 maxed barrels balanced and flowed(simple for injection pump shop cost me $300)- hint: search ur local salvage yards for the pump and find a local injection pump shop u trust. u can have a really nice pump for under 1k if u do ur homework

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm already at 536 with my vp. i'd like to build for 800+

·
Registered
210 Posts
IIRC, Piers built hius "Stoopid" pump from a 160 pump. Which goes to show, it's all in how you build the pump. Personally, I think the 215 pumps are over rated. The 215 isn't bad though

·
Registered
24 Posts
well if your looking for big numbers, 215 pumps come with retard plungers which actually defuel once pushed to big limits, your best home built street driven pump would be a 180 pump if your looking to get the max on a budget, just do a search on retard plungers, just my opinion.

·
THE Hood Stack Guy!
3,188 Posts
Shhh! Dont give the 180 pump secret!!!!!! ;)

i run a 160 on my p-pump set up and I had no problems at all hitting 600 with just a few simple pump mods. I would personally got with a 180 if your looking to turn over 3500 RPM and stay there.

The 215's wont hurt you on the road and will probably be a better street pump to get you where you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts