Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 6.7 uses the CJ-4 oil. I am thinking this will be hard to find. What oil do you guys use and where do you get it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use Rotella T. It's about $10 a gallon. A lot of guys hear use the synthetic stuff. I know that Amsoil is really popular, and I'm sure it's great. However with the dpf and egr dumping fuel that does in fact get into the crankcase, I don't think the longer miles between oil changes that synthetics promote is a wise decision for your engine. 5000 mile changes seem to be a better coarse of action, and synthetic is too expensive for that rate of change. Just my opinion for this particular engine/emission configuration. If you remove your dpf and thereby stop the regen cycles, this problem of fuel in your oil goes away.

Grey

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I have been happy so far with my bypass setup and the Amsoil, though i do have to agree with grey a little that you may not get as much for extended intervals with the contamination of the EGR/DPF

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- ROTELLA Products

I guess this stuff is fine. My local Napa carries this oil and an oil filter

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
on the 6.7's the egr is the main cause for the oil getting dirtier faster. if you ran a bypass oil filtering setup it seems you would be able to safely extend your oil change interval

1 - 7 of 7 Posts