Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

which oil in rearend?

964 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  D45
i am going to change the fluids in the rearend on my truck... thinking seriously about gettin the mag-hytec pan but not sure yet, but just wondering what oil/lube to use... i tow probably close to 45% of the time since dad owns a tractor company. oh yea and how much will i need
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Im runnin the mag-hytec and royal purple 75-140 and have no problems!Dont remember how much fluid though,some one will chime in im sure

· Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how does the mag look under there?

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
I am SO HAPPY with the rear MH on my truck, that I just bought a matching cover for the front diff.

I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts

The rear diff took about 7.25 quarts......

· Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not to sound ignorant or nothing but, you just take off the rear diff to drain it and with the MH you bolt it back on, with gasket, and fill it up in the top? don't the mags have a dipsick or something in the top? that looks sweet i'll probably change mine now.

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
not to sound ignorant or nothing but, you just take off the rear diff to drain it and with the MH you bolt it back on, with gasket, and fill it up in the top? don't the mags have a dipsick or something in the top? that looks sweet i'll probably change mine now.
Yes, the MH have a dipstick and drain.

The MH do not need or use the stock gasket, they have an o-ring built into the cover.....

Just unbolt the stock cover and let all the fluid drain out. I hose down the internals with a can or two of brake cleaner and wipe the bottom of the housing with a lint free cloth.

Bolt on the MH and fill up the housing.....that easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.