Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard scads of input from every direction about DPF this and MP8 that and injectors and head studs bleah bleah. I dont want a pure track monster, I just want a fast truck I can laugh at ppl at when I tell them it weighs 9,500lbs. So what order do I really need to start with?

Ive heard:

Respectable CAI...?? power gain
"power puck" module of which i dont know anything about
DPF/EGR or just DPF delete w/program
Straight turbo-back exhaust with DPF/EGR delete program
egr mods
transmission tunes

I'm tagged out of Oklahoma so I have no inspection but I spend most of my time in north and south Texas. I dont want enough power to tear stuff up and go major performance mod style, just enough to get the most outta my stock transmission and powertrain and not get beat on the highway by 04 powerstrokes with straight pipes. Am I better off knocking out the guts out of my DPF and honeycomb filter crap and welding straight pipe in there for visual straights and taking out cats or just bolting on a turbo back setup. Are the modules and power pucks and etc worth anything or do I need to do other things first...most importantly I'm waiting for my warranty to run out before anything major....but I dont want to mod anything to reduce the life of my truck. I intend on getting half million miles outta it, but ive heard taking this emissions crap off will only help me. Could someone give me a bare-bones 1.2.3. list of order I should go?

2008 2500 4x4 Laramie quad cab
6.7L Auto6 52,000 miles
100% stock

·
Registered
405 Posts
TBE and good tuner will be the most bang for your buck. You can get a great deal from Rollin Smoke Diesel. Any increase in power is going to strain the tranny, there is no way to crank it up and not increase the chance of something happening. I dont think the 04's had DPF filters..........

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

·
05 CUMMINS
1,615 Posts
After that I would get a spool aid, same vendor.
will be best intake mod to buy.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Ive heard scads of input from every direction about DPF this and MP8 that and injectors and head studs bleah bleah. I dont want a pure track monster, I just want a fast truck I can laugh at ppl at when I tell them it weighs 9,500lbs. So what order do I really need to start with?

Ive heard:

egr mods
transmission tunes

I'm tagged out of Oklahoma so I have no inspection but I spend most of my time in north and south Texas. I dont want enough power to tear stuff up and go major performance mod style, just enough to get the most outta my stock transmission and powertrain and not get beat on the highway by 04 powerstrokes with straight pipes. Am I better off knocking out the guts out of my DPF and honeycomb filter crap and welding straight pipe in there for visual straights and taking out cats or just bolting on a turbo back setup. Are the modules and power pucks and etc worth anything or do I need to do other things first...most importantly I'm waiting for my warranty to run out before anything major....but I dont want to mod anything to reduce the life of my truck. I intend on getting half million miles outta it, but ive heard taking this emissions crap off will only help me. Could someone give me a bare-bones 1.2.3. list of order I should go?

6.7L Auto6 52,000 miles
100% stock
The biggest bang for the buck is going to come from a tuner and exhaust as previously mentioned. I suggest looking at H&S or Smarty for the programmer and Flo-Pro, Diamond Eye, or MBRP for the exhaust.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TBE and good tuner will be the most bang for your buck. You can get a great deal from Rollin Smoke Diesel. Any increase in power is going to strain the tranny, there is no way to crank it up and not increase the chance of something happening. I dont think the 04's had DPF filters..........
First...I may be n00b and havnt read the diagram on the main sticky recently enough but whats TBE you speak of. And only 07.5 and up had DPF to my knowledge but mines' an 08 not 04

Also when all of you refer to exhaust. are you talking full turbo back? or just dpf delete, or is it worth the trouble to "bore" out my factory to make it straight but "appear" stock for inspections. I dont really want to catch a fine just to be happier with an already great truck.

Any side suggestions on good quality simple tuners? I'm hoping no to get too in-depth. I'd prefer some pre-mapped presets like 1. for towing, 2. fuel economy and 3. for power....kinda thing etc

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sorry, I misread the inital post. Yes you have a DPF and yes you need to delete the POS.

TBE- is Turbo back exhaust. Either 4" or 5" both will work fine for you, they just sound different.

Most any tuner will have various stages that are catered towards one area or another (towing, economy, performance, crazy larry etc.) You just pic which one you want to use.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So basically 4" TBE, take everything stock off in one piece n put it in the garage, EGR delete kit, then programmer to align everything back the way it should be and good to go? How does that effect vehicle longevity and MPG? Any what kind of outta-box power increase should I expect

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
995 Posts
Smarty!!!!

Smarty or Smarty Jr. and a delete pipe or stock exhaust from a 04.5-07 5.9 if on a tight budget (with the cat deleted of course) :peelout

BTW... Upgrading to a CAI is just for the whistle :turbo:

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts
Smarty or Smarty Jr. and a delete pipe or stock exhaust from a 04.5-07 5.9 if on a tight budget (with the cat deleted of course) :peelout

BTW... Upgrading to a CAI is just for the whistle :turbo:
:ditto:

On all accounts.

Additional-

The first mod you can do that is free is to simply unplug the EGR. That one is free and IMHO gives the biggest MPG gains up front. Next would be the DPF delete. Replacing the CAT & downpipe is not required unless YOU just wanna clean things out. The CAT provides muffling.

Tuner- Not required. However, it can give you code-free operation with your deletes. :thumbsup: I Personally run a Smarty.

CAI- Total waste of cash. Unless you are sled pulling to need that much air, the gains just aren't there. For air intake just pull that baffle and stay on top of your air filters. Filters are a personal choice. I use a K&N just so I can clean and reuse it.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

Ive heard:

egr mods
transmission tunes

6.7L Auto6 52,000 miles
100% stock

1. start with a tuner, and a good drop in filter. ( the stock box flows plenty)
get some mechanical gauges and watch everything
the proper tuner ( smarty) will allow YOU to change numerous things, thus eliminating the need for a power puck.

2. get a turbo back exhaust for an 04.5- 07 truck.

3. air intake mods....cold air, intake horn, ect.

4. decide what your WANTS are and proceed from there

·
Registered
742 Posts
if you wana go stelth get a tunner Smarty/xrt and take the dpf filters off and nock the $hit out of the inside it comes out realy easy and put it back on i ran my truck like that for a year and (Stud the head) if you wana go for a stock look you can make blocker plates for the egr valve and put them under the egr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts