Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I like about Ram is things are relatively easy to get to for servicing. This got me thinking, what models require the cab to be removed on the HD trucks? Since I am a DIYer, I’d rather not own one that requires this.

Do all Fords HD trucks 03.5 and later require this for service?

What about Chevy? I know they had injector issues up til 05 and recommend removing the cab.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Service- maintenance, work done on your truck. Whether it be an oil change to injector replacement to pulling a tranny and everything in between.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It all depends on what your going to be doing. Talking diesel trucks, head replacement in a Ford, yes you are going to remove the cab. Studs in a D-Max from what I've seen can be done without removing cab, just a little reforming of a small area of the firewall. Oil changes and general service would not require anything special as far as removing anything large like a cab. If your going to pull the transmission on any truck, yes pulling the cab would make getting to all of the transmission bolts and connectors easier but you would have way more work involved pulling the cab off so it wouldn't "make things easier" in the long haul. Do your homework on the job at task, see what the guys who do it for a living tackle the job and do what works for you, not what everyone else thinks you should do.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,825 Posts
Some years of Fords do require pulling the cab to simplify a lot of things, but IIRC the 6.7 powerjoke was designed to have almost everything short of a full rebuild to be done without cab removal. Would pulling the cab make it easier to access some things? Yes. Will it save you time, probably not if you are competent in turning wrenches. Not sure about GM though

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all depends on what your going to be doing. Talking diesel trucks, head replacement in a Ford, yes you are going to remove the cab. Studs in a D-Max from what I've seen can be done without removing cab, just a little reforming of a small area of the firewall. Oil changes and general service would not require anything special as far as removing anything large like a cab. If your going to pull the transmission on any truck, yes pulling the cab would make getting to all of the transmission bolts and connectors easier but you would have way more work involved pulling the cab off so it wouldn't "make things easier" in the long haul. Do your homework on the job at task, see what the guys who do it for a living tackle the job and do what works for you, not what everyone else thinks you should do.
Some years of Fords do require pulling the cab to simplify a lot of things, but IIRC the 6.7 powerjoke was designed to have almost everything short of a full rebuild to be done without cab removal. Would pulling the cab make it easier to access some things? Yes. Will it save you time, probably not if you are competent in turning wrenches. Not sure about GM though
thanks. I am referring to bigger service jobs, obviously not oil changes. I heard fords now make removal easier but wasn’t sure if the chevys require removal too. I’ve pulled cabs off other vehicles and it’s a pain to disconnect everything hence the question. I’m not in the market, I’m happy with my 3rd gen, but someday i may have to step up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts