Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In yalls opinion which intercooler is best, BD, AFE, or banks? Also they are just straight bolt on right?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Actually none of those according to what I've heard. Spearco is the way to go but I've never had one. Browns Diesel says Spearco.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find a spearco one on the Internet

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I personally have a Banks intercooler, I could feel a little difference in power, fuel economy increased by maybe a 1 mpg. But it was a pain in the but to install due to the fact that i left the a/c condesor hooked up. I have heard great things about BD. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. they are all about equal in size over stock.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I asked the same question a while back and Spearco and BD seemed to be the favorites. Banks said they had done a comparison test and might post the data. I would really like to see some real test data.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have a link to a spearco?

·
Some-Sho Some-Go
1,621 Posts
IMO an intercooler is going to be an intercooler they all have fins they all flow air. The more surface area the more cooling potential. I had a buddy that had a BD he liked it but he got a killer deal so i'm sure he would have been happy with anything.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Once again I gotta agree that an intercooler is all about preference on who? They all do the same thing.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
Once again I gotta agree that an intercooler is all about preference on who? They all do the same thing.
Not true, believe it or not there is a science to it. Flow air threw it to fast and it will not have time to be able to cool the air. There is alot of things that you have to take in account. If that was true what you are saying then why replace the factory Inter Cooler?

In yalls opinion which intercooler is best, BD, AFE, or banks? Also they are just straight bolt on right?
I would run a Joe Hellmann Inter Cooler. He has one of the fastest 12v's. Not the fastest but very low 10's or maybe high 9's. He knows his stuff like no other. I think his can handle up to 135psi. Also they did a piece on his race truck and Moose's blue Ford with a 05 5.9 CR (which Joe also built and did the conversion) in the April Diesel Power mag.Hellmann Performance Intercoolers, custom fabrication richmond texas, hellmann performance richmond texas, custom fabrication, diesel truck, welding, diesel performance parts, texas, powerstroke

·
Registered
258 Posts
i think air to air is way out dated and if u would be upgrading the gains are not really worth the money i dont think but to each there own. now if u want to upgrade and make it worth the money and spend the same amount then air to water is the way to go :thumbsup:

Air to Water Intercooler

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
i think air to air is way out dated and if u would be upgrading the gains are not really worth the money i dont think but to each there own. now if u want to upgrade and make it worth the money and spend the same amount then air to water is the way to go :thumbsup:

Air to Water Intercooler
I read about some fast diesels guys playing with water to air inter cooler and ended up going back to air to air and some ran without and used a bigger shot of spray.

personally I think if you have the money and time to play I would try water to air. It seems like it would work well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts