Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which gauges to run?

1293 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  neoxaero
I'm planning on adding gauges to my truck at the end of the week

I was looking at autometer gauges (all I've ever ran in my cars) and noticed on the fuel pressure gauges they have a 0-15psi and a 0-100psi

What are you guys running? I assume the 0-15 would be ideal but if the pump is giving me 16+ I'd worry it would damage the gauge?

Anything out there that would give me something like 0-30psi or some where around that range?

Also torn between mechanical and electric.. I'd much rather have some wires ran in the cab than fuel... but honestly how often do gauges fail and leak... :confused013:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I'm planning on adding gauges to my truck at the end of the week

I was looking at autometer gauges (all I've ever ran in my cars) and noticed on the fuel pressure gauges they have a 0-15psi and a 0-100psi

What are you guys running? I assume the 0-15 would be ideal but if the pump is giving me 16+ I'd worry it would damage the gauge?

Anything out there that would give me something like 0-30psi or some where around that range?

Also torn between mechanical and electric.. I'd much rather have some wires ran in the cab than fuel... but honestly how often do gauges fail and leak... :confused013:
Most use 30psi for fuel pressure.

60psi for boost or bigger for twins.

I prefer mechanical.

Dave

· Registered
59 Posts
Sweet! You just answered my question. I've been looking for a place to buy all 3 (pyro, boost, and fuel pressure) but couldn't find a place. I found some that sold the pyro, boost, and trans temp, but i have a 6 speed and want to monitor my fuel pressure more. Thats a great price too!

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Sweet! You just answered my question. I've been looking for a place to buy all 3 (pyro, boost, and fuel pressure) but couldn't find a place. I found some that sold the pyro, boost, and trans temp, but i have a 6 speed and want to monitor my fuel pressure more. Thats a great price too!
yup, i think so too...:thumbsup::party018:

just be sure to buy a Auto Meter pod, the Glow Shift pods are JUNK...:D

· Registered
228 Posts
also if you go mech. you can get an isolater and just run veggie oil into the cab or anti freeze.... Go to my man Wally from FTE Diesel,,,, he will hook you up ,,,, thats where i got mine

· Registered
957 Posts
and use 08shipping as a coupon code

· Registered
250 Posts
i wouldnt run an isolator, more of a headache than its worth, just run a small needle valve instead

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as running a mechanical gauge for the fuel pressure.. how are you purging the air from the line?

I was thinking running the hose long enough to poke it out window and use the lift pump to purge the air out... hook up gauge and it'd be good to go?

whats the proper way to install them? :confused013:

I used an electronic gauge on my mustang, so I've never delt with a mechanical one before

· On call 24/7
13,750 Posts
I would run mechanical gauges too. You can just open the needle valve just enough to get the gauge to work and you dont have to get all the air out. Look into di pricol optix gauges, they were on national backorder but are very nice gauges. You can get a 30psi fuel gauge from DiPricol C-307-425 Optix Fuel Pressure Gauge at DieselManor and get the banjo bolt for the fuel line. Then all you need is an oil pressure line kit from any parts store for about $15.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
I really like the dipricol gauges, they look awesome, I have a set sitting right next to me that I have to put on a customers truck. If you notice nobody is selling them right now because they are getting redesigned, and the new ones look awesome

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
having air in the line wont effect the gauges accuracy? awesome..

Looks like I'm gonna be ordering some gauges tomorrow then!! I'm gonna try to get all autometer gauges since thats what i've always ran in every car I've built :) :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.