Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide if I should go with the Banks or Pacbrake exhaust brake system. Looking for help from anyone with either of these setups on truck like mine. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I 'am' very satisfied with my pacbrake PRXB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you need to do anything to the 48re auto trans when installing either exhaust brake?

Sounds like a wonderful addition to any rig. I personally think it would be better than any radio..... Music to the ears hearing the barking sounds of a loaded exhaust break

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the Pacbrake and it comes with controls that plug into the truck to control the automatic transmission. I had it installed and I think it hooks into the computer for the transmission. Works great, went through I40 in Tennessee the other weekend from North Carolina to Newport, Tennessee and only touched the brake pedal twice the whole ride on the highway.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Do you need to do anything to the 48re auto trans when installing either exhaust brake?

Sounds like a wonderful addition to any rig. I personally think it would be better than any radio..... Music to the ears hearing the barking sounds of a loaded exhaust break
There’s no bark with an exhaust brake. You’re confusing it with a compression brake.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I've had a Banks Brake on my '06 2500 for almost 9 years and it still works like a champ. Thousands of towing miles and it was absolutely indispensable! Would never tow without it...either Pac or Banks both work great!

Reactions: Phillipjon

·
Registered
297 Posts

The 07, 06, 04.5 brake ecm pins work from the factory: pin 39 when grounded tells the ecm you are requesting the exhaust brake and the truck switches to the tow haul maps even though the light doesn't come on. Pin 42 is your brake relay ground and goes to ground when the ecm commands the brake.

The 05 requires custom tuning to activate the ecm pins but functions the same way. I have an 05 and have turned on the ecm pins and the brake works well. I did have to modify a few TCC tables to get the truck to hold lockup during downshifts.

The 06 and 07 trucks have an extra parameter that "gooses" the throttle to relock the TCC after a downshift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts